IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

DCB Legal - Pay or fight CCJ?

Options
Hello all, 

I have read a few of the other threads about DCB Legal and see that a few of people seem to have paid up to avoid the hassle of fighting them and I am not sure what to do.  

I received a CCJ in the post for around £500 for two unpaid PCNs. After contesting them, these were both rescinded at the point of receipt by the management company of the private building where I had (correctly) parked. However, I continued to be pestered over the years to pay them. Each time I sent them through the same evidence that they had been rescinded and they went away for a while. I have moved a few times over the last 5 years and they have kept following me. However, all went quiet until I see that DCB Legal have obtained a CCJ against me for the PCNs, plus "damages" and interest. I didn't receive a claim form or any notification of the claim being issued and the first I heard was when the judgment landed on my doorstep. 

The court was able to send me the POC by email and it has no detail of the original PCNs apart from the dates. When I spoke to DCB Legal they said now judgment has been obtained there is nothing they can do. I know this is not correct as they can agree to a lesser sum if it is offered. At the moment it seems my only option is to either pay up in full or apply to have the judgment set aside. That will cost £275 plus the time and hassle it will take me to defend it so I am not sure it's worth doing. 

Any advice would be very welcome, especially if you have fought them in the past. 

Thank you. 

Comments

• Fruitcake
    Fruitcake Posts: 58,251 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 27 March at 9:07PM
    Options
    If the date the judgment was made is greater than.30 days, there is no advantage in paying it because it will still show on any credit search but be marked as satisfied.

There is advice in the NEWBIES about applying for a set aside. If the claim was not properly served then you could ask the PPC for a set aside with consent which would cost you £108. If you have proof the MA cancelled the original charges then you can show the courts you have a good prospect of winning the case therefore have a good case for a set aside being allowed.

You should in any case complain to the landowner/MA and you MP. You could even warn the former that you would be within your rights to make a claim against them since they are responsible for the actions of their agent, the PPC.
    I married my cousin. I had to...
    I don't have a sister. :D
    All my screwdrivers are cordless.
    "You're Safety Is My Primary Concern Dear" - Laks
  • Beansy45
    Beansy45 Posts: 5 Newbie
    First Post
    Options
    Thank you. I am within the 30 days (I still have about 2 weeks) but I will see if they are amenable to setting aside with consent to allow me to state my case. 

The MA at the property has changed hands a number of times now so I am not sure if they'd even hear me out at this point. They'd probably say it wasn't on their watch so nothing to do with them. 
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 131,817 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Did the claim go to an old address?
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • Beansy45
    Beansy45 Posts: 5 Newbie
    First Post
    Options
    Yes, I suspect so. I have never seen a claim form or POC only what the court were able to give me.
  • KeithP
    KeithP Posts: 37,663 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Beansy45 said:
    Yes, I suspect so. I have never seen a claim form or POC only what the court were able to give me.
    And were the court not able to give you the address where the Claim Form was sent?
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 131,817 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    The CNBC will email a copy of the POC (when you ask) & can of course tell you the address the claim went to.
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback