edited 2 April at 12:04PM in Public transport & cycling
Just in case anyone is interested

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/652985

Comments

• smudger1964
    smudger1964 Posts: 682 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    signed...dont think they will take any notice though they will say it will cost too much despite it being free in scotland ,wales and london
  • westv
    westv Posts: 6,086 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I'm a bit confused at to what the petition is about but then again I'm 6 years away from any bus pass.
  • pinnks
    pinnks Posts: 1,259 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Not sure I understand it either.  I know the age differs in those parts of the UK but I was not aware that if my bus crosses the Severn bridge I start getting charged if I start my journey using my pass.   
  • Emmia
    Emmia Posts: 3,169 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    edited 27 March at 5:51PM
    Options
    Really you'd be better lobbying your MP on this issue.

But I expect the lack of interchangabilty is because bus transport is probably devolved so the UK government doesn't have the power to decide on this. Agreement would need to be made with the Scottish and Welsh governments.

If it's issued in England I think the pass is valid in London on the buses (not the tube)
  • TadleyBaggie
    TadleyBaggie Posts: 6,056 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Pretty sure bus passes issued in England are accepted by TFL. 
  • smudger1964
    smudger1964 Posts: 682 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    maman said:
    westv said:
    I'm a bit confused at to what the petition is about. 
    At the moment, despite free bus passes being issued in all 4 countries and TfL, they aren't interchangeable.

So if, for example, an English resident goes to Wales on holiday they can't use their free bus pass.

The petition calls for the bus pass to be valid across the UK. 
    I misunderstood then I thought it was about people over 60 being able to get bus passes in England like they get them in Wales,Scotland and London.So making everyone in the UK equal

• 35har1old
    35har1old Posts: 1,103 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    maman said:
    westv said:
    At the moment, despite free bus passes being issued in all 4 countries and TfL, they aren't interchangeable.

So if, for example, an English resident goes to Wales on holiday they can't use their free bus pass.

I misunderstood then I thought it was about people over 60 being able to get bus passes in England like they get them in Wales,Scotland and London.So making everyone in the UK equal

In NI you get you bus and train pass at 60 and when you reach 65 your are then entitled to travel all Ireland bus and rail
  • poseidon1
    poseidon1 Posts: 147 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    35har1old said:
    maman said:
    westv said:

In NI you get you bus and train pass at 60 and when you reach 65 your are then entitled to travel all Ireland bus and rail
    Same in London (60plus oyster). However freedom pass now linked to your normal retirement age ( currently 66 or 67).
  • westv
    westv Posts: 6,086 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    poseidon1 said:
    35har1old said:
    maman said:
    westv said:

Same in London (60plus oyster). However freedom pass now linked to your normal retirement age ( currently 66 or 67).
    What's the difference between the two?
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure