First house - kitchen Reno advice pls

Options
We’ve just completed on our first house purchase and are wanting to gut the existing kitchen and fit a new one. But we’re met with two issues that I’m confused about so any advice would be great as I’m clueless.

the gas metre and electric metre / consumer unit are both relocated in two separate base units - would it be too timely and expensive to relocate the gas metre outside and put the electric metre and consumer unit in the hallway? Would it even be necessary or could we make do with them remaining there? Anyone in the same boat? What would be the estimated cost to this? 

Also- we need to close off one of the existing windows and turn it into a wall in order to accommodate a range cooker that the previous owner has left (relatively new just needs a deep clean). What kind of cost am I looking at roughly - it’s a smallish window and rectangular. Just want to have an idea of prices so I’m not being quoted ridiculous amounts and being taken for a ride. 

Thank you! 

Comments

• ThisIsWeird
    ThisIsWeird Posts: 4,856 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 27 March at 3:43PM
    Options
    Hi FTB213, and Happy New House :smile:
    I suspect moving these meters will be costly, and - since they are on the incoming supplies - will require the gas 'body' - eg Cadent - to do so, and not just a sparky or a GasSafe engineer.
    No harm is asking for a quote, but I would suggest that if the meters are perfectly usable where they are, then it may be best to just leave them there for the time being. If you are planning more significant work on your house in the future, then that may be the time to consider moving them?
    This will be a different matter, tho', if the current location is not deemed safe for some reason, so it may well be worth getting in touch with Cadent (for the gas) in any case. For the leccy meter, it appears that you should contact whoever your current supplier is. (Current - gettit...? :neutral: )
    All I can suggest is, get quotes, and then decide.
    As for blocking up a window, that's a peasy job for a general builder. Nothing structural required - the lintel will remain in place. What can affect the cost are things like, what's the outside finish - is it decorative brick? If so, they'll have to find matching bricks and make them blend. Cavity or single skin wall? But, again, find 2 or three local recommended builders, and ask them to pop round on the way home - and provide a quote.

• Albermarle
    Albermarle Posts: 22,190 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    I suspect moving these meters will be costly, and - since they are on the incoming supplies - will require the gas 'body' - eg Cadent - to do so, and not just a sparky or a GasSafe engineer.

Presumably after the meters are moved by Cadent or whoever is responsible, then you will need a sparky or gassafe person to do all the reconnection work with the house cabling/pipework?

All in all could be quite a big job. 

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure