Housing Benefit timescale

Options
I know the answer to this probably however is there a legal timescale that HB have to sort out and act on information via change of circumstances at all ?

I am at the point of owing 7 weeks rent at London prices 

I have phoned HB again today and they have escalated and marked it urgent, basically like LAST week but nothing is getting processed and in payment

I have explained that at 8 weeks they can serve a section 8 but nothing is getting done

Thanks

Comments

• elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,767 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Get onto your local councillor? Some are better than others, but it can make a difference. 
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • Spicedpumpkin
    Spicedpumpkin Posts: 150 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    I will have a think about it. I live in a very busy London area and to be honest I probably do not have much faith in him 
    But appreciate your comment
  • Spicedpumpkin
    Options
    elsien said:
    Get onto your local councillor? Some are better than others, but it can make a difference. 
    I have a think about it, and although I do not have faith in them I will draft one over the weekend and send Tuesday

As I'm getting nowhere at all

Thanks again
  • Alice_Holt
    Alice_Holt Posts: 5,950 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    elsien said:
    I have a think about it, and although I do not have faith in them I will draft one over the weekend and send Tuesday

Thanks again
               I'd do 2 letters, one to the Head of Revenue & Benefits (or appropriate title) at your council and one to your local councillor. Copy them both in with the others letter.  

Just being aware that you have contacted your councillor may prompt some action from the council.

If this doesn't work then write to your MP (enclosing both letters) and a copy to the council.
    Alice Holt Forest situated some 4 miles south of Farnham forms the most northerly gateway to the South Downs National Park.
  • Spicedpumpkin
    Options
    elsien said:

Thanks again
               I'd do 2 letters, one to the Head of Revenue & Benefits (or appropriate title) at your council and one to your local councillor. Copy them both in with the others letter.  

Just being aware that you have contacted your councillor may prompt some action from the council.

If this doesn't work then write to your MP (enclosing both letters) and a copy to the council.
    Thanks for that

Honestly it is so stressful waiting and waiting, making constant calls and being told the same ,being escalated blah blah......with No action being taken.

Do you think its best to do it via a local councillor first rather than going straight to the MP ?

I shall google who the councillor is and compose a letter/email to go Tuesday.

I've tried looking for the Head of Revenue & Benefits at our council but can not find anything. Do you think If I just sent a letter it would go to the right place? As I can not find who it is at all

Its not just the rent arrears as well, the HB claim closes soon as my partner reaches 66 in mid April

( He had been on Income Support and I've changed over to IR ESA  as well as CB ESA as well, as a mixed age couple in the future to basically remain on legacy benefits as its better financially by £800 a month) 

Thanks a lot

• Alice_Holt
    Options
    I'd start with your councillor.

It would be better for the letter to go to the Head of the relevant dept, to have maximum effect.
    Alice Holt Forest situated some 4 miles south of Farnham forms the most northerly gateway to the South Downs National Park.
  • Spicedpumpkin
    Options
    I'd start with your councillor.

It would be better for the letter to go to the Head of the relevant dept, to have maximum effect.
    Many thanks as always
  • Murphybear
    Murphybear Posts: 7,282 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 28 March at 8:19PM
    Options
    elsien said:

Thanks again

I had a problem with the DWP a year ago.  I contacted my MP and he responded the same day, asked for my full details and he contacted them immediately (I shouldn’t say this but my MP is a real sweetie :). ). I have no idea what he said but I had a letter from the DWP 2 days later
  • Spicedpumpkin
    Options
    elsien said:

Thanks again

I had a problem with the DWP a year ago.  I contacted my MP and he responded the same day, asked for my full details and he contacted them immediately (I shouldn’t say this but my MP is a real sweetie :). ). I have no idea what he said but I had a letter from the DWP 2 days later
    Many thanks for that

Did you go straight to your MP rather than a local councillor first ?

I had to google who mine were, I live in a busy London borough and everything council related is super naff

Im glad you got your problem sorted out, I do not think they realize how stressful waiting for things to be done especially when you are 7 weeks owed HB and that can lead to a section 8 eviction at 8 weeks 

Thanks for the information

• Alice_Holt
    edited 29 March at 1:12PM
    Options
    Did you go straight to your MP rather than a local councillor first ?

With LA issues your immediate elected representative is your ward councillor (unlike the DWP who the poster had the issue with).

If you haven't already approached your councillor, then the MP may just refer you to them.  If you have approached your councillor and got nowhere, then your MP should be more willing to act on your behalf. 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback