Cabot minimum payments

Options
lillypoo
lillypoo Posts: 293 Forumite
First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Name Dropper
edited 27 March at 12:49PM in Debt-free wannabe
Morning all

Self managing my dmp . One of my cc debts was sold to Cabot. The amount outstanding on the card was/is a relatively small £750. But added to all the other debts ... I couldn't afford it .

Anyway when I last met minimum payments on that card ( may last year) the min was £25
The bank stopped interest immediately

Earlier in March i paid Cabot £10 towards this card debt. I keep trying to set up a direct debit but they will not accept less than £30 pm. ( when I first tried it wanted me to pay over 300!!)

I have not spoken to or otherwise engaged with anyone at Cabot and don't intend to. But they keep saying the only way to have a lower dd is to send them my SOA. Which I will not do.

I know the answer is to just continue making the £10 on the same day every month without a dd. But has this happened to anyone else? Insisting on a higher payment than you were struggling to meet before you defaulted?

To put it into context , the other card debt they bought is for £10000 and they're accepting £100 pm on that no issues.

Comments

• stu12345_2
    stu12345_2 Posts: 899 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 27 March at 1:29PM
    Options
    you are in charge , not them. set a monthly standing order with them , get the sort code and account number and set it up at £10.
    tell them what day they are getting it per month and tell them that's the max and goodbye.

basically they don't want the admin fees on a £10 direct debit imo
    pay your debt at your rate.not what the creditor demands.cos they have no power.they aren't the police.
  • lillypoo
    Options
    I think you're right stu. Thank you
  • stu12345_2
    stu12345_2 Posts: 899 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    their sort code and account should be listed on methods of payments in some of their literature 

then when you do it at your bank remember to put your debt account number as the reference so they know who the money is coming from
    pay your debt at your rate.not what the creditor demands.cos they have no power.they aren't the police.
  • lillypoo
    Options
    Thank you!
  • Rob5342
    Rob5342 Posts: 1,484 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    I agree with the above. No matter what they say, you should always pay debt collectors by standing order or bank transfer, never by debit card or direct debit, so you are in complete control of the money they get.
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,888 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 27 March at 9:09PM
    Options
    The idea is to get them to agree to £10 per month, without them questioning it.

Why not just provide them with any old randomly put together budget showing that is all you can afford?

That`s all it takes to keep the peace.

(Your real budget is yours and yours alone).

It pays to think outside the box, so box clever.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • Sly72
    Sly72 Posts: 126 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    The idea is to get them to agree to £10 per month, without them questioning it.

Why not just provide them with any old randomly put together budget showing that is all you can afford?

That`s all it takes to keep the peace.

(Your real budget is yours and yours alone).

It pays to think outside the box, so box clever.
    That suggestion worked for me.
    I have Dyslexia which is a learning difficulty that primarily affects the skills involved in accurate and fluent word reading and spelling so some post may not make sense.
  • lillypoo
    Options
    Thanks guys. I'll work on the soa and do a standing order over eastet
  • Angelcrackers
    Angelcrackers Posts: 50 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Can this work? They don't ask for proof of income?
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,888 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Can this work? They don't ask for proof of income?
    Lol, they are a debt collector, its none of their business.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback