Customs rules list

Options
Is there anywhere I can find a comprehensive list of what I can take into a country before having to declare to customs? I mean cash, bullion, jewelry, Rolex value etc.. Attending a destination wedding and not sure if I need to declare the wedding present I am taking with me. I would rather not declare if I can help it given some of these places are notorious for officials requesting *ahem* "on the spot fines", but also don't want to fall foul of local laws.

Thank you

Comments

• DullGreyGuy
    DullGreyGuy Posts: 10,458 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    You'd need to check with the customs department of the relevant country's government, normally the sort of thing thats on their website. 

Your giving someone bullion and a Rolex as a wedding present?
  • Kirkmain
    Kirkmain Posts: 164 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    You'd need to check with the customs department of the relevant country's government, normally the sort of thing thats on their website. 

either or, not decided yet.

Its not as unusual as you think. You ever been to an Asian wedding, the bride is literally wearing her weight in gold. And thats what she has on display. God only knows how much is being gifted and not being put on display.
  • la531983
    la531983 Posts: 1,861 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Perhaps it would be more helpful if you named the country.
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,689 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    Kirkmain said:
    Is this ^^^ you naming the country (as India) or are you just proving this point?
    Kirkmain said:

Its not as unusual as you think. You ever been to an Asian wedding, the bride is literally wearing her weight in gold. And thats what she has on display. God only knows how much is being gifted and not being put on display.

• eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 31,076 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Kirkmain said:
    Is there anywhere I can find a comprehensive list of what I can take into a country before having to declare to customs? I mean cash, bullion, jewelry, Rolex value etc.. Attending a destination wedding and not sure if I need to declare the wedding present I am taking with me. I would rather not declare if I can help it given some of these places are notorious for officials requesting *ahem* "on the spot fines", but also don't want to fall foul of local laws.
    Best place for UK residents to start is the gov.uk website, where country-specific travel guidance is provided by the FCDO, with links to the relevant definitive data source, so, for example, the pages about travelling to India include:

Customs rules

There are strict rules about goods that can be brought into and taken out of India. You must declare anything that may be prohibited or subject to tax or duty.

https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/india/entry-requirements

Or for any who just want to sneer at the funny ways of foreigners, sticking to the Daily Mail is always an option!
  • TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,489 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    If you are taking items of value with you and intend to bring them back, try to find the receipts and take those too.  You may be stopped by Customs on the way home.
  • Kirkmain
    Options
    TELLIT01 said:
    If you are taking items of value with you and intend to bring them back, try to find the receipts and take those too.  You may be stopped by Customs on the way home.
    You mean on the way out? I won't have them on me on the way home as I will have gifted them to the bride and groom
  • DullGreyGuy
    DullGreyGuy Posts: 10,458 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Kirkmain said:

Only been to one in Delhi, though the bride was from Indian Kashmir. Was a lot of people involved, a fair number of elephants & horses but dont recall either large amounts of gold being worn nor exceptionally lavish gifts outside of the parents of the couple but fully accept that a sample of 1 isn't much and know the strong views of gold investment in India... still think giving a bar of gold, rather than jewellery is odd but your choice and I certainly wouldn't have minded if anyone gave us blocks of gold at our wedding but we got a picnic basket
  • Kirkmain
    Options
    Kirkmain said:

Only been to one in Delhi, though the bride was from Indian Kashmir. Was a lot of people involved, a fair number of elephants & horses but dont recall either large amounts of gold being worn nor exceptionally lavish gifts outside of the parents of the couple but fully accept that a sample of 1 isn't much and know the strong views of gold investment in India... still think giving a bar of gold, rather than jewellery is odd but your choice and I certainly wouldn't have minded if anyone gave us blocks of gold at our wedding but we got a picnic basket
    depends, some of those Harrods picnic hampers can be more valuable and useful than a bar of gold :)
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback