Aga and Freezer

Options
helpmemse
helpmemse Posts: 1 Newbie
Am getting a new freezer - is it likely to push up my energy bills if I put it in the same room as my aga (which is on all the time)? I could put it elsewhere. 

Comments

• Gerry1
    Gerry1 Posts: 9,937 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Yes, the higher the room temperature the more it will cost to run the freezer.
  • bob2302
    bob2302 Posts: 92 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 27 March at 2:24PM
    Options
    Although check for the freezer's minimum operating temperature before putting it in a garage or outhouse.
  • Gerry1
    Gerry1 Posts: 9,937 Forumite
    edited 27 March at 3:33PM
    Options
    bob2302 said:
    Although check for the freezer's minimum operating temperature before putting it in a garage or outhouse.
    There are surprisingly few.  Beko is one brand that's suitable.
  • Swipe
    Swipe Posts: 5,086 Forumite
    edited 27 March at 3:44PM
    Options
    I've run a number of standalone freezers with 10C min running temps in unheated garages over the years, throughout many cold winters, and never had a problem.
  • coffeehound
    coffeehound Posts: 5,674 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    It could be the upper temperature limit that's problematic if the Aga is burning in summer:

• dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,387 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    helpmemse said:
    Am getting a new freezer - is it likely to push up my energy bills if I put it in the same room as my aga (which is on all the time)? I could put it elsewhere. 
    It will, as mentioned.  However, if you look at the Samsung low energy fr/fr then they are extremely well insulated which works both ways.    That is what we went with (the American FF version and it uses 0.6-0.7kWh per day which is very low.

We turn our AGA off over the summer months.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • FreeBear
    FreeBear Posts: 14,635 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    bob2302 said:
    Don't forget that the temperature inside a garage, shed, or other outbuilding can climb pretty high during the summer months - I've seen 40+°C in my wood store in the middle of summer. Great for baking out the last drop of moisture in the firewood, not so good for a freezer.

Her courage will change the world.

Treasure the moments that you have. Savour them for as long as you can for they will never come back again.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback