Opting out of SERPS

Options
I have recently looked at my pension forecast where it confirmed that I did indeed opt out of Serps. However, I have no idea where this pot is held. The company I worked for at the time went into liquidation and I don’t know what happened to the fund. Or indeed, where it was held. How do I trace where this pot is. 

Comments

• kaMelo
    kaMelo Posts: 2,373 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Was the company pension scheme contracted out or did you contract out yourself?
  • friolento
    friolento Posts: 1,165 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    I don’t think you could contract out yourself. Your scheme was either contracted out or not. If you were in one of those, your state pension forecast will show an assumed COPE amount.

You could opt out of the scheme altogether. Though this would not be shown on a state pension forecast.

To trace a lost pension, try https://www.gov.uk/find-pension-contact-details
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,387 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 27 March at 12:28PM
    Options
    I don’t think you could contract out yourself. 
    Yes you could.  you contracted out of SERPS/S2P using an appropriate personal pension (or just personal pension as it would be today).   The individual could choose to contract out or remain contracted in.  Unlike occupational pensions which would be COMP/CIMP by the choice of the employer or a DB scheme.

I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • xylophone
    xylophone Posts: 44,427 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I have recently looked at my pension forecast where it confirmed that I did indeed opt out of Serps. However, I have no idea where this pot is held. The company I worked for at the time went into liquidation and I don’t know what happened to the fund. Or indeed, where it was held. How do I trace where this pot is

"Contract Out"

https://techzone.abrdn.com/public/pensions/Tech-guide-contracting-out

Contracting out was a method of building up private pension provision by giving up entitlement to the additional pension element of the State Pension (State Second Pension or its predecessor SERPS) for particular tax years.

Self-employed people weren't able to contract out as they didn't participate in the Additional State Pension.

Because a person who contracted out will have a lower State Pension entitlement, the Government reduced the National Insurance (NI) liability on earnings between the earnings thresholds and the upper accrual point for these individuals and their employers for the period of contracted out service.

The way this was done depended on what type of scheme the individual was contracted out under. There were three options:

• Defined benefit: contracted out salary related (COSR)
    • Contracted out money purchase (COMP)
    • Appropriate personal pensions (APP)
  • Albermarle
    Albermarle Posts: 22,179 Forumite
    Options
    dunstonh said:
    I don’t think you could contract out yourself. 
    Yes you could.  you contracted out of SERPS/S2P using an appropriate personal pension (or just personal pension as it would be today).   The individual could choose to contract out or remain contracted in.  Unlike occupational pensions which would be COMP/CIMP by the choice of the employer or a DB scheme.

Actually I was in a occupational DB scheme, but was given a choice whether to opt out of SERPS or not in the late eighties, and start a personal pension where the NI payments would be sent. I do not think we had the choice to pick our own provider, and were just offered to opt out with Standard Life arranged via the employer, or not opt out.

I mentioned it before on the forum and got the impression it was not a common arrangement.
  • p00hsticks
    p00hsticks Posts: 12,835 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    The company I worked for at the time went into liquidation and I don’t know what happened to the fund. Or indeed, where it was held. How do I trace where this pot is. 
    In cases like that, if it was a defined benefit pension (which does not have a 'pot' but rather a promise to pay) the pension often ends up with the Pension Protection Fund
    Welcome to the PPF | Pension Protection Fund
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,387 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Actually I was in a occupational DB scheme, but was given a choice whether to opt out of SERPS or not in the late eighties, and start a personal pension where the NI payments would be sent. I do not think we had the choice to pick our own provider, and were just offered to opt out with Standard Life arranged via the employer, or not opt out.
    I mentioned it before on the forum and got the impression it was not a common arrangement.
    I have heard of that before but it is very unusual.    THere you go, you are special ;) 

I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • Albermarle
    Albermarle Posts: 22,179 Forumite
    Options
    dunstonh said:
    I have heard of that before but it is very unusual.    THere you go, you are special ;) 

Thanks, and I still have the Standard Life Pension pot to prove it !
  • RedImp_2
    RedImp_2 Posts: 261 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    If it was the same as when I opted out it was nothing to do with my employer so shouldn’t matter if they no longer exist.  It went into a private pension in my name and with my details so the pension followed me around until I consolidated a couple of years ago.
    Maybe it’s part of OP private pension pot without them realising 
  • poseidon1
    poseidon1 Posts: 147 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    Same here, had my contracted out plan with Scottish Amicable ( later taken over by Prudential ). However, once I became aware I could manage those funds in my own Sipp, transferred it and other smaller s226 pension plans to Hargreaves Lansdown. Continued to receive NI refunds direct to the Sipp until serps disappeared.

The contracted out monies had been held separately for a while, but now fully absorbed in the general sipp.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback