Natwest card reader

Options
I'm trying to make a transaction (create a standing order) on my Natwest account. It says the transaction needs approval, and suggests biometric approval (which just doesn't work for me, getting my face where the app wants it is too difficult) or Use a card reader (which is shown as a link). When I click on the link it takes me to a page that tells me all about security and card readers but, as far as I can see, doesn't give me a link to get off the page and proceed with entering details of the transaction. I seem to be completely stuck with this, can't find any way to go further. Somehow once I got to a page to enter the necessary details but then I got logged out while in process. I had a chat with an agent but that got nowhere. I tried several browsers in case one was locked down with a popup blocker or the like, but it didn't matter what I tried (and both Mac and iPhone) I get the same situation.

Anyone got any ideas on what is causing this and how I can just proceed.

Comments

• Section62
    Section62 Posts: 7,803 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    danco said:
    I'm trying to make a transaction (create a standing order) on my Natwest account. It says the transaction needs approval, and suggests biometric approval (which just doesn't work for me, getting my face where the app wants it is too difficult) or Use a card reader (which is shown as a link). When I click on the link it takes me to a page that tells me all about security and card readers but, as far as I can see, doesn't give me a link to get off the page and proceed with entering details of the transaction. I seem to be completely stuck with this, can't find any way to go further. Somehow once I got to a page to enter the necessary details but then I got logged out while in process. I had a chat with an agent but that got nowhere. I tried several browsers in case one was locked down with a popup blocker or the like, but it didn't matter what I tried (and both Mac and iPhone) I get the same situation.

Have you got a Natwest cardreader and a card which is valid for use in a cardreader?  NatWest had a system where the cardreader approval pages only became active once you had everything you needed to use it - for security it wasn't enabled by default.  This was some time ago, so things may have changed, but perhaps not?
  • gambleruk
    gambleruk Posts: 132 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Any card reader from Barclays, Rbs, Ulster, Nationwide etc will also do the job for you, if you do not have one maybe ask a friend or a neighbour to borrow one for 5 minutes.
  • Nasqueron
    Nasqueron Posts: 8,836 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 27 March at 12:26PM
    Options
    Could you perhaps get help with the camera for biometric? I use NW and have got RBS and Ulster accounts now for switching and never had any issue with face on the app, even on the street by an ATM to get the PIN - just need to use selfie camera and hold at a sensible distance and have your face in the oval for a second or two
  • danco
    danco Posts: 204 Forumite
    Options
    Biometric is just too much of a hassle. I refuse to use it. I've spent ages trying to set it up and I keep getting told "move closer" "find somewhere evenly lighted" and so on. And you can't cancel  biometric if set up except by using biometric! It's disgusting. If Natwest would introduce their other option of voice ID which they keep mentioning I would be happy, but as they've been talking about that for several years that's unlikely.

No, there's nothing wrong with the cardreader. As I said, the problem is getting to the page where the reader needs to be used.

@Section 62 s suggestion might explain the problem, though. I had frozen my card (I so rarely use it) and then unfrozen it. Though I was told when I unfroze it that it would be usable from 4 a.m. this morning, maybe it still can't be used with a reader. Though, as Isaid, just once I got to the page I needed but then got logged out.
  • ColdIron
    ColdIron Posts: 9,058 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    So it's not a problem with the card reader (you have one) or biometrics (you 'refuse to use it') so it sounds like an app issue
    Have you tried to reinstall it? Alternatively try a browser and the reader just to set up the payee and go back to the app once done
  • pafpcg
    pafpcg Posts: 883 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    danco said:

Have you gone through the process of enabling the use of a card reader on the account?

The option to enable a card reader is located via the "Security" tab (on the top line between "Your details and "Log out"), then scroll down to "Using a card reader" to find the option.  But for a new account, it won't let you enable a reader for several days, perhaps to allow a card reader to be delivered?  Very frustrating, but using the NatWest app does allow new payees to be set-up, without the use of biometrics, and the payees can subsequently be used via on-line/browser access.
  • friolento
    friolento Posts: 1,167 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    gambleruk said:
    Any card reader from Barclays, Rbs, Ulster, Nationwide etc will also do the job for you, if you do not have one maybe ask a friend or a neighbour to borrow one for 5 minutes.

You still needs to be registered with Natwest for a card reader. You get that registration if you order the card reader online, or possibly you can do it in Branch, too
  • danco
    danco Posts: 204 Forumite
    edited 27 March at 11:16PM
    Options
    pafpcg said:
    The option to enable a card reader is located via the "Security" tab (on the top line between "Your details and "Log out"), then scroll down to "Using a card reader" to find the option.  But for a new account, it won't let you enable a reader for several days, perhaps to allow a card reader to be delivered?  Very frustrating, but using the NatWest app does allow new payees to be set-up, without the use of biometrics, and the payees can subsequently be used via on-line/browser access.
    That worked. I think it was a matter of timing. I don't think I previously had an option to enable the reader, but it shows up now and I followed the procedure, after which it said the reader was authorised. And then the steps I expected did come up and I have done what I wanted
  • 35har1old
    35har1old Posts: 1,105 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    danco said:

Can you not carry out the transaction online rather than using the app
  • Section62
    Section62 Posts: 7,803 Forumite
    Options
    pafpcg said:
    danco said:

Have you gone through the process of enabling the use of a card reader on the account?

Yes, NatWest's policy was/is to delay enablement by two (?) days to allow time for the card reader to be delivered, even if you already have a suitable card reader from another bank, or could borrow one from someone else.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback