Separate flight and tour booking - are you covered if one is cancelled?

Options
I have booked a group tour that does not include flights (they can book them for me but it's 3 times as much as booking myself).
If I book the flights myself and the tour is cancelled (currently departure is not guaranteed), would my travel insurance refund me the cost of the flights? My policy is unclear on this and when I asked the insurance company, they said I would need to submit a claim to find out (really helpful!).
Interested to know if anyone has any experience of this.
Thanks

Comments

• elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,763 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    My guess, and it is only a guess would be that the flights would not be covered. 
    I think you’re looking at insurance that covers, consequential loss, Which is difficult enough to find anyway, but as the tour element hasn’t properly been confirmed as yet when the flights are bought,  I’d be expecting a no. 
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • tacpot12
    tacpot12 Posts: 7,973 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 27 March at 9:35AM
    Options
    I've never had to make a claim, but have booked lots of holidays where I have arranged flights and accomodation seperately. My understanding is that the insurance won't pay for flights if, for example, your accommodation is cancelled UNLESS the reason for canceling the flights is something that would be included in the policy.
    The comments I post are my personal opinion. While I try to check everything is correct before posting, I can and do make mistakes, so always try to check official information sources before relying on my posts.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback