Seeking Advice on Claiming Tax Relief for Home Office Expenses

Options
Hi everyone,

I'm currently filling out an online HMRC form and could use some guidance on claiming tax relief for home office expenses. Specifically, I'm interested in claiming "Tax relief for expenses of employment" related to using my home as a work office.

I've come across the option for a simplified flat rate allowance of £6 per week (£312 annually) that doesn't require receipts. However, I'm unsure about the process for claiming this relief. Do I need to submit £1560 in expenses to receive the full £312 as a return?

If anyone has experience with this or can provide insight into how to navigate the HMRC form effectively, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Comments

• Dazed_and_C0nfused
    Dazed_and_C0nfused Posts: 13,483 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Hi everyone,

I'm currently filling out an online HMRC form and could use some guidance on claiming tax relief for home office expenses. Specifically, I'm interested in claiming "Tax relief for expenses of employment" related to using my home as a work office.

I've come across the option for a simplified flat rate allowance of £6 per week (£312 annually) that doesn't require receipts. However, I'm unsure about the process for claiming this relief. Do I need to submit £1560 in expenses to receive the full £312 as a return?

If anyone has experience with this or can provide insight into how to navigate the HMRC form effectively, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks in advance for your help!
    You would be claiming tax relief on £312.

You don't enter details of the amount of tax saving this generates, the form is to claim the expenses.

Depending on how much taxable income you have and assuming it's a valid claim then the tax saving would be anywhere from £0 to £124.80.  In niche circumstances more.

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback