Earning 55k a year on minimum wage

Options
I'm surprised I've earned so much but I've managed it, just wondered if there's any help with tax or benefits etc, I'm doing about 100 hours a week but I've never had any help at all, is there anything I can look into or is it not worth the hassle?

1275l is my tax code 

Comments

• la531983
    la531983 Posts: 1,863 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    You are asking if there is any help with benefits if you earn 55k a year?

Erm....
  • Liam222th
    Liam222th Posts: 5 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    la531983 said:

Erm....
    More help with tax or benefits to be honest, I work 100 hours a week, most people do a lot less and get a lot more help
  • la531983
    la531983 Posts: 1,863 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    I don't think this is a serious thread but I will let the site admin decide. 
  • poppy12345
    poppy12345 Posts: 17,968 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    la531983 said:

Erm....
    Some families maybe entitled to Universal Credit, even with those level of earnings. It will just depend on their circumstances, especially if there's dependent children claiming disability benefits. 

Just to add further, you may also want to have a read of the sticky at the top of the forum..https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/365935/its-about-helping-people-get-their-entitlement-not-about-benefits-policy#latest

Liam222th said:
    I'm surprised I've earned so much but I've managed it, just wondered if there's any help with tax or benefits etc, I'm doing about 100 hours a week but I've never had any help at all, is there anything I can look into or is it not worth the hassle?

1275l is my tax code 
    As I advised above, it will depend on your circumstances. If you're a single person then it's highly unlikely you will be entitled to any means tested benefits. 
  • Liam222th
    Options
    la531983 said:

Erm....
    Some families maybe entitled to Universal Credit, even with those level of earnings. It will just depend on their circumstances, especially if there's dependent children claiming disability benefits. 

Just to add further, you may also want to have a read of the sticky at the top of the forum..https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/365935/its-about-helping-people-get-their-entitlement-not-about-benefits-policy#latest

Liam222th said:

1275l is my tax code 
    As I advised above, it will depend on your circumstances. If you're a single person then it's highly unlikely you will be entitled to any means tested benefits. 
    Thanks, I'm single, I guess that's seen as a bad thing when it comes to benefits 
  • Sarahspangles
    Sarahspangles Posts: 1,404 Forumite
    Options
    Well you’re certainly a hard worker, is there any reason you’re not in a better-paying job? There's some routes to ‘help’ with training and setting up a business.

Are you going to end up paying Higher Rate Tax? 
  • poppy12345
    Options
    For help with tax you need to post over on the cutting tax part of the forum, this is the welfare benefits section. 
  • Liam222th
    Options
    Well you’re certainly a hard worker, is there any reason you’re not in a better-paying job? There's some routes to ‘help’ with training and setting up a business.

I've got a strong work ethic, but I've tried getting a skill or qualifications and failed every time, I did a plumbing course once and even that was too hard, I was a bit gutted really
  • poppy12345
    Options
    Liam222th said:
    la531983 said:

Erm....

Liam222th said:

1275l is my tax code 
    Thanks, I'm single, I guess that's seen as a bad thing when it comes to benefits 
    Benefits threshold is very low so being a single person, even if you have rent costs, there's very likely going to be no entitled to Universal Credit with the level of income. 
  • Sarahspangles
    Sarahspangles Posts: 1,404 Forumite
    Options
    Liam222th said:

I've got a strong work ethic, but I've tried getting a skill or qualifications and failed every time, I did a plumbing course once and even that was too hard, I was a bit gutted really
    Apprenticeship, and do what you do now as a side gig?
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback