Securing small bit of guttering

Options
So a few weeks ago I had to secure this piece of guttering over a balcony drip edge because of constant water flowing over the edge, running down the wall and leaking onto the ceiling in the room below. 

In the heat of the moment I had to secure it with string attach to the balcony rail as seen in the photo. 

I dont really want to screw this Into the brickwork but obviously it can't stay like this.

Because of the small size of it and the fact it's only catching water from a very small edge of about 1m x 2 m is there any grab adhesive or sealant that would hold the clips in place? Or is this non starter? 

Comments

• Mr.Generous
    Mr.Generous Posts: 3,379 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    They would hold, but not for long. Couple of screw per bracket, job done.
  • tony3619
    tony3619 Posts: 378 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    They would hold, but not for long. Couple of screw per bracket, job done.
    So you dont think if I put 4 brackets with a grab adhesive or a sealant it would last? Basically it's fine with string until the wind blows it above 30mph from underneath.... Then it lifts upwards. It's a short term solution until I can address the roof pitch to stop the water running over the edge.

I was thinking with enough brackets  the sealant would hold for such a small piece of guttering and minimal water 
  • flashg67
    flashg67 Posts: 3,997 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I reckon you'd need a bigger surface area to stick to than just a bracket. A larger piece of wood/plank  secured to the brickwork with no nails with the bracket screwed to the wood might work.....or it might not!
  • tony3619
    edited 26 March at 10:31PM
    Options
    flashg67 said:
    I reckon you'd need a bigger surface area to stick to than just a bracket. A larger piece of wood/plank  secured to the brickwork with no nails with the bracket screwed to the wood might work.....or it might not!
    Yes I did think this...but was hoping by using more brackets it would spread the weight more.

I might give it a go and see what happens. If It fails and I have to screw it into the brick then I'll do it. Just don't like screwing into brick incase of cracks etc  and it's only for a short time until I sort the roof
  • FreeBear
    FreeBear Posts: 14,641 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    tony3619 said: I might give it a go and see what happens. If It fails and I have to screw it into the brick then I'll do it. Just don't like screwing into brick incase of cracks etc  and it's only for a short time until I sort the roof
    Put the screws in to the mortar joints rather than the bricks. If the brackets are ever removed permanently, the mortar joints can be repointed, and you'd never know holes had been drilled. Grab adhesive won't work, and it would leave a mess on the bricks.

Her courage will change the world.

Treasure the moments that you have. Savour them for as long as you can for they will never come back again.
  • Eldi_Dos
    Eldi_Dos Posts: 1,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    If it is only a short time till you have the roof done, get a piece of timber (fence post) and strap to bottom of railings and fit some J brackets to wood so that they support gutter, may need to bend bracket a bit.
    Will not look very pretty or professional but it is only a stop gap till main work is carried out.
  • Murmansk
    Murmansk Posts: 929 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    As others have said, DON'T use No More Nails. Screw the proper gutter support brackets into the vertical mortar joints and when it's no longer needed take out the screws and put a bit of mortar in the screw holes.

• tony3619
    Options
    Murmansk said:
    As others have said, DON'T use No More Nails. Screw the proper gutter support brackets into the vertical mortar joints and when it's no longer needed take out the screws and put a bit of mortar in the screw holes.

I've decided to do as you suggested, would I use wall plugs in the mortar? (Which ones?) Or just screw directly into the mortar? 
  • FreeBear
    FreeBear Posts: 14,641 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    If you have very thin mortar joints, use the red plugs.

Her courage will change the world.

Treasure the moments that you have. Savour them for as long as you can for they will never come back again.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback