Re-Lining Ceiling advice

Options
We have some old textured wallpaper on the ceiling in one bedroom that we have always hated and plan to remove.  The room in question is in an extension that was built in 1987 so the ceiling plaster underneath should be still in decent condition (although you never know untill you start removing the paper!) - however even if the paper comes off cleanly an the plaster underneath is OK my previous (albeit limited) experience of removing wallpaper indicates we will still need to do something to the ceiling before we can re-paint it.  The only options I can think of are as follows:

1) apply liner paper and re-paint

2) apply smooth plain white wallpaper and don't bother with paint

3) re-plaster the ceiling, seal and paint

I'm leaning towards option 2 as probably having the best finish/outcome for the least money - however I don't know if others here would agree and/or one has to get special ceiling paper for this kind of thing, or what's best to use. 

In relation to Option 1 I have painted over cheap lining paper before and it was OK but the finish was a little grainy and rough and I'm looking for something a bit better-looking (plus it was on walls not a ceiling). 

Option 3 would probably give the best finish but seems like the nuclear option and an expense I'd rather not incur as we have other building work going on around this that is already costing enough (although the room itself  is also being extended so I may speak to the builder when I get the chance about the cost & viability of re-plastering the whole ceiling as he's got to do the extended bit once he's built it anyway).

If anyone has any comment or advice, even if just to confirm I'm on the right track or to advise on materials, or if you can suggest any options I've not thought of  I'd appreciate it  - I've done enough DIY and decorating to consider myself no longer a complete novice, but only just....

Comments

• YBR
    YBR Posts: 556 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Options
    My answer would be to repair any cracks or imperfections with appropriate filler, and clean with sugar soap, then prime any larger areas (with runny wallpaper paste, for example) then apply lining paper and paint.
  • FreeBear
    FreeBear Posts: 14,641 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Built in 1987 - They probably used nails to fix the plasterboard in place. Over time, the nails can pop and cracks form along the edges of the boards. That could be the reason the ceiling was papered over...
    Once the paper is stripped, if there are any long straight cracks along with popped nails, I'd use a few PB screws to secure the boards, then go over the affected areas with Fill & Finish or Easifill. The Fill & Finish is probably easier as it can be sanded down with a damp sponge once it has "set".
    You could use lining paper and give it a quick once over with the Fill & Finish to get a smooth surface - It also fills the gap between sheets.
    Her courage will change the world.

Treasure the moments that you have. Savour them for as long as you can for they will never come back again.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback