Octopus Energy "System 7" electric smart meter reading problem since October 2023

Options
Openingbat
Openingbat Posts: 3 Newbie
First Post
I have a dual fuel contract with Octopus Energy however Since October 2023, whilst they have billed for the gas usage the have been unable to split the day night usage on my electric smart meter and have not charged anything for the electricity. 
I have emailed and phoned and found as on another thread that the service is sporadic and generally poor, all replies refer to an ongoing problem that is being resolved in batches.
Trying to forecast energy usage is impossible, does anyone else have this problem ?

Comments

• EssexHebridean
    EssexHebridean Posts: 21,372 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    edited 26 March at 5:39PM
    Options
    So the meter is sending readings, but is set up on a single rate, is that correct? If so then they should be able to remotely switch it to E7 - that is an advantage of smart meters, that can be done remotely.

were the new meters only installed in October, or did things change then and previously everything was working as normal?

If the meter is sending readings, then forecasting energy use isn't an issue as you could take readings as you would have done on an old style meter. Some energy monitoring plugs will quickly help you to get to grips with what various things cost to run. 

Allowing that you have gas use, are you sure that Economy 7 is right for you anyway? It may be that you re in a similar position to the one we used to be - ie you use gas only for cooking, and everything else is via electricity - but if you heat your home using gas, it's well worth doing the sums to see whether in fact E7 is best for you. 
    🎉 MORTGAGE FREE (First time!) 30/09/2016 🎉 And now we go again…New mortgage taken 01/09/23 🏡
    Balance as at 01/09/23 = £115,000.00
    Balance as at 31/12/23 = £112,000.00
    SOA CALCULATOR (for DFW newbies): SOA Calculator
    she/her
  • Openingbat
    First Post
    Options
    Re Essexhebdridean, thanks for your input,  I've been with Octopus a while and there has been no change of the meter and all was working ok with lower cost tariff overnight readings separate to daytime until October when (by coincidence ?) I agreed a new contract. I have external lighting on through the night which makes the System 7 just about more cost effective than just a single tariff. Initially from October there were no electricity readings on my account but that has recently changed to at least an overall electricity usage reading, but it is still impossible to split into high and low tariff costs.
  • Gerry1
    Gerry1 Posts: 9,937 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    What's System 7?  Do you mean Economy 7?
  • EssexHebridean
    EssexHebridean Posts: 21,372 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    It sounds to me as though when your tariff was changed, you have also been switched from Economy 7 to single rate - can you confirm what the name of your current tariff shows as on your bills or in the app? Are you certain there was no conversation at the time of the tariff change about switching you to Single rate as it had been identified that this would save you money? 

If it is only lighting and standard background load you have running overnight, then it's surprising that E7 is more cost effective for you to be honest allowing for the higher day rate. Generally speaking, E7 works for those who use electric for heating and hot water. What sort of lighting are you running? Is it possible to convert it to low energy bulbs so that the energy used is relatively minor? Do you usually load-shift things like washing machine and dishwasher to overnight? 
    🎉 MORTGAGE FREE (First time!) 30/09/2016 🎉 And now we go again…New mortgage taken 01/09/23 🏡
    Balance as at 01/09/23 = £115,000.00
    Balance as at 31/12/23 = £112,000.00
    SOA CALCULATOR (for DFW newbies): SOA Calculator
    she/her
  • Openingbat
    First Post
    Options
    Apologies' it is Economy 7 not System 7.
    Octopus have acknowledged the problem several weeks ago and say there are others and they are dealing with it in batches of customers, this was their latest communication after yet another chase up email;
    "I understand your frustration towards this situation, this is a known issue and we are doing all we can to resolve this as soon as possible. Unfortunately we do not have a known date for when this will be resolved."
    (I did the maths on our usage when I could and economy 7 was the cheapest route, over a 12 month period, but only just)
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback