How long after receiving an item does an buyer have to reject it and ask for a return?

Options

How long after receiving an item does an eBay buyer have to reject it and ask for a return?

I sold an old (but working) phone on eBay. I tested it before listing it and tested it again as I was packaging it to send to the buyer. It worked fine.

The buyer received it 19 days ago.

They now want to reject it as they say it does not work at all. Dead as a dodo apparently.

Can they return it after having it for 19 days?

If they return it and I find it does work after all can I get some of my listing fees/packing costs back or is it just the risk you run when selling on eBay?

Comments

• soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,208 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options

How long after receiving an item does an eBay buyer have to reject it and ask for a return?

I sold an old (but working) phone on eBay. I tested it before listing it and tested it again as I was packaging it to send to the buyer. It worked fine.

They now want to reject it as they say it does not work at all. Dead as a dodo apparently.

If they return it and I find it does work after all can I get some of my listing fees/packing costs back or is it just the risk you run when selling on eBay?

Unless it's changed, it is 30 days from date of receipt .

I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • Mark_d
    Mark_d Posts: 430 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    19 days after the buyer accepted delivery, the buyers decides that the phone is dead?
    The buyer had more than two weeks to report it, if indeed this obvious fault existed when the phone arrived.  You should not be responsible for any failure of the item after it has been delivered, or any damage caused by the buyer.  If I were you I would fight this.
  • easy
    easy Posts: 2,516 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Did you make a note of the IMEI number of the phone?   It's not unknown for someone to buy a phone,  claim it doesn't work,  and return a different phone to the seller.  
    I try not to get too stressed out on the forum. I won't argue, i'll just leave a thread if you don't like what I say. :)
  • GrahamLM52
    GrahamLM52 Posts: 56 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    soolin said:

Hi soolin

Can you point me in the direction of eBays 30 day rule? I've tried eBay chat and scoured the T&C's but cannot find a timescale quoted anywhere.
  • soolin
    Options
    soolin said:

Hi soolin

Can you point me in the direction of eBays 30 day rule? I've tried eBay chat and scoured the T&C's but cannot find a timescale quoted anywhere.
    eBay Money Back Guarantee policy

Actions & time frames for "not as described" returns

Latest:

I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • GrahamLM52
    Options
    Many thanks soolin.
  • GrahamLM52
    Options
  • soolin
    Options
    You can appeal but anecdotally it is a difficult one for a seller to win. Business sellers do have slightly more rights regarding returns and paying part refunds, but even that doesn't apply to all business sellers. 
  • GrahamLM52
    Options
    Thanks again soolin

• forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,555 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Mark_d said:
    19 days after the buyer accepted delivery, the buyers decides that the phone is dead?
    The buyer had more than two weeks to report it, if indeed this obvious fault existed when the phone arrived.  You should not be responsible for any failure of the item after it has been delivered, or any damage caused by the buyer.  If I were you I would fight this.
    Just because it's delivered does not mean the buyer has it in their posession.  I bought items just as we were going away so it was over
    2 weeks before we arrived home.
    Or maybe the item got delivered to a neighbour who forgot about it, had that happen also, but that was a router after changing ISP.

Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback