Car Finance - 50% mark

Options
happy2017
happy2017 Posts: 91 Forumite
First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
Hi,

I've got a car on HP with Go Car Credit which I'm no longer able to afford.

Here are some figures.
£12,600 settlement amount
£5,300 Value - webuyanycar
£6,000 to pay until 50% paid off

I'm considering handing the car back, but my concern is if i will receive a default on my credit file or will there be a specific team i could speak to to arrange a payment plan for the next few years to pay off the £6,000.

Any advice would be nice, thanks.

Comments

• stu12345_2
    stu12345_2 Posts: 899 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 26 March at 4:20PM
    Options
    hi again, I have a link for you, about halfway down in it explains it on a hp agreement.
    it says speak to company first.but if you want out and in negative equity and give up the car and still owe . money it can be the worst choice

https://carplus.co.uk/magazine/how-to-get-out-of-car-finance-agreement/
    pay your debt at your rate.not what the creditor demands.cos they have no power.they aren't the police.
  • happy2017
    Options
    hi again, I have a link for you, about halfway down in it explains it on a hp agreement.
    it says speak to company first.but if you want out and in negative equity and give up the car and still owe . money it can be the worst choice

thank you - ive just spoken with a colleague and she was in the same position.  She had about £7,000 remaining to half way mark and gave car back, made an arrangement with the car finance to pay £20 per month until the blanace is cleared, her credit file just shows as arrangement in place.......i would hope for this to happen to me.
  • BoGoF
    BoGoF Posts: 7,099 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    happy2017 said:

thank you - ive just spoken with a colleague and she was in the same position.  She had about £7,000 remaining to half way mark and gave car back, made an arrangement with the car finance to pay £20 per month until the blanace is cleared, her credit file just shows as arrangement in place.......i would hope for this to happen to me.
    An arrangement to pay is not a good thing on your credit file.
  • happy2017
    Options
    BoGoF said:
    happy2017 said:

An arrangement to pay is not a good thing on your credit file.
    I understand but would prefer this to the company accepting the car back then adding a default to my credit file for 6 years.

I would like to at some point clear the balance if circumstances change next year so its marked on filed as settled
  • Car_54
    Car_54 Posts: 8,215 Forumite
    Options
    AIUI the 50% requirement only applies to PCP contracts. You’ve said yours is on HP.
  • Veteransaver
    Veteransaver Posts: 480 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Car_54 said:
    AIUI the 50% requirement only applies to PCP contracts. You’ve said yours is on HP.
    PCP is same as hp, but with a PCP the 50% mark is often reached just before the monthly payments are ending anyway. Ie you're less likely to use the 50% rule as you can just hand the car back anyway.
  • happy2017
    Options
    im going to speak to the finance company on thursday and ask "what if" i hand it back can an arrangement to pay be agreed
  • Ganga
    Ganga Posts: 4,157 Forumite
    Options
    happy2017 said:

Do you mean pay £7000 at £20 a month ,it will take you 30 years to repay it and that is not including interest.
    ITS NOT EASY TO GET EVERYTHING WRONG ,I HAVE TO WORK HARD TO DO IT!
  • Nearlyold
    Nearlyold Posts: 2,289 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Car_54 said:
    Most PCP's are actually  Hire Purchase agreements anyway, some are Conditional Sale and some are Fixed Sum/Term loans. (Aka Personal Loans.) There is no regulatory definition of a PCP,  they're all modified versions of other regulatory defined loans.
  • stu12345_2
    stu12345_2 Posts: 899 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 26 March at 8:09PM
    Options
    PCP is harder to reach the 50% than hp, that link explains it.
    but in all honesty I would keep paying till I got to 50% then return it.
    you don't want to be car less and paying for something you don't have.
    pay your debt at your rate.not what the creditor demands.cos they have no power.they aren't the police.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback