New Employer doesn’t want my P45

Options
I’ve changed jobs and owing to going from one job into another back to back I’ve got my p45 from my old role a month after starting.

prior to starting I was sent a tax form that I said didn’t apply to me as it appeared to be an emergency tax form, and I said I expected to get my p45, but they insisted I sign it.

Today, having just received my P45, I took it straight in to HR and they turned me away saying it wasn’t necesary as I’d signed the other form.

i know I’ll get the tax back eventually but is this normal practise?
every other job I’ve had, I’ve dropped in my p45 circa one month in and it’s been great fully received.

Comments

• General_Grant
    General_Grant Posts: 4,845 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    MPE-J said:
    I’ve changed jobs and owing to going from one job into another back to back I’ve got my p45 from my old role a month after starting.

prior to starting I was sent a tax form that I said didn’t apply to me as it appeared to be an emergency tax form, and I said I expected to get my p45, but they insisted I sign it.

Today, having just received my P45, I took it straight in to HR and they turned me away saying it wasn’t necesary as I’d signed the other form.

i know I’ll get the tax back eventually but is this normal practise?
    every other job I’ve had, I’ve dropped in my p45 circa one month in and it’s been great fully received.
    So you have been paid by the new employer.  What tax code did they use? 
    Is that the same as on your P45?

You signed a form for the new employer.  What information did you provide on that form?

Will you be paid again before 6 April?
  • Sarahspangles
    Sarahspangles Posts: 1,396 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    The form you completed because your P45 wasn’t available used to be called a P46, but is now a Starter Checklist. The employer now has to collect information before they pay you for the first time. So the moment for using your P45 is past, although it’s useful to have when you are checking if you’re owed a tax refund.
  • baser999
    baser999 Posts: 1,135 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    If OPs not being paid again in this tax year presenting the P45 will be irrelevant, unless working for a small company and they’re willing to re-run the payroll which would save OP having to apply for any refund via HMRC channels
  • Dazed_and_C0nfused
    Dazed_and_C0nfused Posts: 13,490 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    baser999 said:
    If OPs not being paid again in this tax year presenting the P45 will be irrelevant, unless working for a small company and they’re willing to re-run the payroll which would save OP having to apply for any refund via HMRC channels
    There is no need for the op to do that though.

Any overpaid tax will be automatically refunded later this summer.

https://www.gov.uk/tax-overpayments-and-underpayments
  • baser999
    baser999 Posts: 1,135 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    baser999 said:
    There is no need for the op to do that though.

Any overpaid tax will be automatically refunded later this summer.

https://www.gov.uk/tax-overpayments-and-underpayments
    Agreed, poor terminology on my part; would have been better to have said ‘OP to wait for any refund via HMRC’ 
  • chrisbur
    chrisbur Posts: 4,054 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 26 March at 8:27PM
    Options
    Getting the P45  "a month after starting" (new job) and probably having completed a starter declaration for the emergency tax code suggests that there is a fairly high chance that you will have been undertaxed.   Without having seen any figures cannot be certain but if you check your P45 for the month number and the first new employer payslip for the same if they have both used a tax allowance for the same month then you have underpaid tax.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback