young driver car insurance not renewed

Options
Hi all,

My daughter is 20 years old and has been with her car insurance for 1 year, company is called My Policy.  Its her 1st car issuance, has now been driving with a black box for 1 year- careful, good driver, no problems.  We have received a letter saying they will not renew her insurance.  No explanation given, except 'insurer’s risk criteria'.  Can they do this?  It seems she is being penalised for being a young driver!

Comments

• DullGreyGuy
    DullGreyGuy Posts: 10,458 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Yes, it's a 1 year contract and neither party is bound to a second year. 
  • Penguin_
    Penguin_ Posts: 1,225 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Find another provider.
  • prettyandfluffy
    prettyandfluffy Posts: 729 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Sometimes insurers just assess where they are losing money (are at most risk) and amend their business accordingly.  I fell foul of this when I owned a hot hatch; I wasn't a new driver, had no claims and a clean driving licence but they didn't want to insure those vehicles any more.  I believe owners of Range Rovers are currently finding it difficult to get insurance because of the incidence of theft.  It's just one of those things and in any case you should always shop around; this does not count as being refused insurance so she doesn't need to declare it to future insurers.
  • forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,555 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    A club insurance broker would not insure my daughter for her 1st year but insured her for the 2nd year and then again
    would not insure her for the 3rd year.   5th year onwards she had no issues being covered.

Sister with the same club insurance broker and same club had insurance for many years but this year the actual insurer declined
    to quote and their cheapest was over £1500 when it was closer to £400 in previous years.

It happens just try elsewhere which you should be doing every year anyway.

Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

• macman
    macman Posts: 53,098 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 27 March at 6:04PM
    Options
    All car insurers are currently losing money. So it is not surprising that some, rather than withdraw from the sector entirely, are culling their high risk customers. Because of her age and inexperience, your daughter is clearly in that category, even with one year claim-free.
    Of course they can do it. No one is obliged to insure her. Nor do they have to divulge the reasons for declining her. She should be using a comp site and getting a range of quotes annually anyway.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • Lavendyr
    Lavendyr Posts: 2,584 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 28 March at 1:18AM
    Options
    To be clear though, this is not a cancellation of insurance, so when she/you look at new quotes, and the question is asked - has insurance ever been cancelled - this is not that. This is the insurer choosing to narrow their market, and is not any reflection on your daugher. 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback