PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

The case of the missing deposit

Options
our_des
our_des Posts: 26 Forumite
Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
Trying to find my deposit and having no luck, any advice would be helpful. Last known whereabouts of the deposit were March 2018 when the landlord unprotected it from MyDeposits - only found this month when trying to locate it.

Background:
My husband and I rented a flat from August 2013 - Feb 2024. It was an AST, renewing after the first 6 months for 12 months until 2019 it went to a rolling contract February 2019. If it has any relevance, the original landlord was the private rental side of a housing association, they sold it in April 2019 to an Australian investment firm (it was a bulk purchase, they sold off around 25 flats within our area) then it was sold as another bulk purchase to a couple in Hong Kong 2020.

When we gave notice to the current letting agent in January, I asked if they knew where our deposit was as I'd searched the certificate number we had and it was no longer showing up. This request was ignored and I pressed them for an answer, after I'd done some researching and found that when a new owner had bought it, we should have been given updated prescribed information. I had this response (this agent worked for the previous letting agent who managed it),

"With regard to your deposit, it seems we have an issue – I have checked with the previous agency and they never received payment of your deposit from the agent prior to them." 

Then after some questioning and me supplying the certificate number I had this response,

"Thank you for your deposit information and the photographs, I will contact Mydeposits now to request confirmation they are holding your deposit and arrange for the release. For reference, when X took over management, around 20 Y properties were transferred into their management and the responsibility for the transfer of deposits etc was with them. Similarly, when Z took over management from X, around 15 apartments were transferred at once and all deposits requested as part of the transfer. It seems your deposit was not transferred on either occasion which is far from ideal and we sincerely apologise for this oversight."

I've contacted the original landlord to find out if they can advise on if they still have it somewhere/why it was taken out of MyDeposits in 2018 and/or if it was transferred with the sale but no response from them yet. Also contacted the 2nd landlord and again, no response.

Feels a bit like I'm going in circles and no one was going to willingly admit they messed up protecting it as it would leave them liable but I don't want to let our deposit vanish into thin air. Is this one for a legal team to sort out instead of me?

ETA: current agent have done a check out and told me they wouldn't deduct anything from the deposit if they found it as they had no check in information passed on through the change of agents/sales but I did have my copies/photos

Comments

• our_des
    edited 26 March at 11:35AM
    Options
    It's not your job to 'find' the original deposit. It is a legal requirement for the current landlord to
    a) ensure it is protected (and if not you can claim the penalty of up to 3 times the deposit) and
    b) return the deposit to you
    Where the current LL finds the £ to return to you is his problem - his pocket? under his mattress? His dad's savings account? So long as he returns it it's not your problem. And if he doesn't, it becomes HIS problem!
    Write (yes write) to the LL, and cc the agent, demanding the return of your deposit in 5 working days. Refer to the Housing Act and the LL's failure to protect the deposit and your right to claim the penalty.
    (assuming the property is in England)

Yes it's England. Thanks for that link, just had a reply back from the current agent as I'd asked for an update and it's a bit sassy,
    "As I understand it, it is illegal for an agent to hold funds in a client account or otherwise without a valid deposit protection being in place, however as Z have not received funds for your deposit to allow us to protect it, I am unsure as to what penalty (if any) can be imposed on the agent or landlord for the current set of circumstances."
  • theartfullodger
    theartfullodger Posts: 14,608 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 26 March at 1:37PM
    Options
    You write/email THE CURRENT  LANDLORD, copy agent, keep copy regarding unprotected deposit.  The landlord owes you the deposit and penalty for not protecting it (up to 3xdeposit)  - actually possible for you to sue all landlords who were landlord when deposit not protected correctly - see.
    https://england.shelter.org.uk/professional_resources/legal/renting/change_of_landlord/tenants_rights_when_a_landlord_sells

You don't care where it is - he/it could have gambled it away for all you care - he/it still owes it, even if tyey have nothing in the bank.

See...
    https://england.shelter.org.uk/housing_advice/tenancy_deposits/how_to_get_your_deposit_back/if_your_deposit_is_not_protected

In your shoes I'd start, using Shelter's guidance, going after the deposit penalty.

By the way when landlords changed did you get notice(s) compliant with s48 & s3?? If not no rent due (!! s48) and possible fines and criminal offence. 

Artful: Landlord since 2000
  • our_des
    Options
    Thanks Artful!

With the 1st sale we got the S48 & S3 but nothing with the 2nd. We didn't even know the 2nd sale had happened (or that is was even being sold again) until a sum of money equal to the value of the monthly rent landed in our account one day, I had to chase the letting agent to find out and then get in touch with the new letting agent.
  • TheJP
    TheJP Posts: 1,667 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    our_des said:
    Thanks Artful!

With the 1st sale we got the S48 & S3 but nothing with the 2nd. We didn't even know the 2nd sale had happened (or that is was even being sold again) until a sum of money equal to the value of the monthly rent landed in our account one day, I had to chase the letting agent to find out and then get in touch with the new letting agent.
    What was the amount of the deposit? From what you say here it sounds like the deposit was returned to you after the sale but the agent didn't request a new deposit for it to be protected? Did you query why a months rent had been deposited into your account?
  • our_des
    Options
    TheJP said:
    our_des said:
    Thanks Artful!

What was the amount of the deposit? From what you say here it sounds like the deposit was returned to you after the sale but the agent didn't request a new deposit for it to be protected? Did you query why a months rent had been deposited into your account?
    It was the rent paid to them after the sale. 

I have just had confirmation from the 2nd owners that the letting agent they used still has it and it was not protected. 
  • GDB2222
    GDB2222 Posts: 24,677 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    our_des said:
    TheJP said:
    our_des said:
    Thanks Artful!

I have just had confirmation from the 2nd owners that the letting agent they used still has it and it was not protected. 
    So, you are getting it returned to you?

You can issue proceedings claiming up to 3 times the deposit, but the multiple is at the discretion of the court and this might be at the lower end of the scale. You may be better off suing the second owner, as they are based in the UK, whereas the current owners are overseas. 
    No reliance should be placed on the above! Absolutely none, do you hear?
  • theartfullodger
    theartfullodger Posts: 14,608 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 27 March at 2:31PM
    Options
    GDB2222 said:
    our_des said:
    TheJP said:
    our_des said:
    Thanks Artful!

You can issue proceedings claiming up to 3 times the deposit, but the multiple is at the discretion of the court and this might be at the lower end of the scale. You may be better off suing the second owner, as they are based in the UK, whereas the current owners are overseas. 
    Fair point, but current owner has assets in UK and if they don't pay up after court ruling  it's cheap and simple then to put a charge on one of their property assets (eg the property being rented..).  It will eventually pay out... ....

https://www.stepchange.org/debt-info/debt-collection/charging-orders-and-my-home.aspx
  • GDB2222
    GDB2222 Posts: 24,677 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    GDB2222 said:
    our_des said:
    TheJP said:
    our_des said:
    Thanks Artful!

Fair point, but current owner has assets in UK and if they don't pay up after court ruling  it's cheap and simple then to put a charge on one of their property assets (eg the property being rented..).  It will eventually pay out... ....

https://www.stepchange.org/debt-info/debt-collection/charging-orders-and-my-home.aspx
    I looked into it, and my recollection is that a charge placed unilaterally falls away after 15 years.  
    No reliance should be placed on the above! Absolutely none, do you hear?
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback