No spark lawnmower

Options
B&Q 4 stroke lawnmower TRY3.5PLMA has no spark. It needs a new coil but I'm having trouble sourcing one. I can't find the engine maker suspect it's a B&Q own one. Any advise would be welcome - several online look similar but not sure. Would a Briggs one fit.?

Comments

• Rodders53
    Rodders53 Posts: 2,152 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Googling found me this.    https://solenttools.co.uk/product-category/spare-parts/bq/try3-5plma/ 

Do you have a bulb primer on your engine?  If the answer is NO then they have a compatible replacement.
    If yes that isn't suitable... but they may be able to advise you on alternatives (or if you need to scap it).
  • pogg000
    pogg000 Posts: 554 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 26 March at 1:44PM
    Options
    Have you checked the oil level?

As if low will stop spark
    lbm 11/06/12 dept total 11499.47
  • Ganga
    Ganga Posts: 4,157 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    B&Q 4 stroke lawnmower TRY3.5PLMA has no spark. It needs a new coil but I'm having trouble sourcing one. I can't find the engine maker suspect it's a B&Q own one. Any advise would be welcome - several online look similar but not sure. Would a Briggs one fit.?
    Why do you need a new coil ? when you say it has lost its spark , try spinning the engine over with the spark plug out ,put the plug into the plug cap and hold the base of the plug against the engine body and check the spark. 
    ITS NOT EASY TO GET EVERYTHING WRONG ,I HAVE TO WORK HARD TO DO IT!
  • CliveOfIndia
    CliveOfIndia Posts: 1,391 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Ganga said:
    put the plug into the plug cap and hold the base of the plug against the engine body and check the spark. 

I agree with you - but would advise using a stick or a piece of wood to hold the plug against the body.  Even though the plug cap is insulated, if you hold it in your fingers it's still possible to get a bloomin' painful jolt from it.
  • Ganga
    Ganga Posts: 4,157 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Ganga said:
    put the plug into the plug cap and hold the base of the plug against the engine body and check the spark. 

I agree with you - but would advise using a stick or a piece of wood to hold the plug against the body.  Even though the plug cap is insulated, if you hold it in your fingers it's still possible to get a bloomin' painful jolt from it.
    Well at least they will know that the ignition system is working  :):)
    ITS NOT EASY TO GET EVERYTHING WRONG ,I HAVE TO WORK HARD TO DO IT!
  • diamond_dave
    diamond_dave Posts: 812 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thanks all for your comments. I did see that Solenttools had one but wasn't sure of the quality. As for the lack of spark I've been through the checks - new plug, check wires for shorts etc still not spark. The problem is that these cheap Chinese engines are rubbish and there isn't the spares backup like B& S engines. I could have got one from China but...
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback