PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Alleyway query

Options
I live in a terraced house on the land registry there is a red outline that starts from the beginning of my property to the end of my garage my question is the alleyway in the middle is included within the red line can I extend my garden out

Comments

• Browntoa
    Browntoa Posts: 49,302 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Alleyways normally have "right of way" to other properties 
    Ex forum ambassador

Long term forum member
  • Albermarle
    Albermarle Posts: 22,179 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    I live in a terraced house on the land registry there is a red outline that starts from the beginning of my property to the end of my garage my question is the alleyway in the middle is included within the red line can I extend my garden out
    Better to post an actual plan of the property including the red line.
  • propertyrental
    propertyrental Posts: 2,543 Forumite
    Options
    Better to post an actual plan of the property including the red line.

and include the relevant wording within the Title too eg anything relating to ROW.
  • Cassidy81101
    Options
    This is how it shows on the land registry 
  • bobster2
    bobster2 Posts: 523 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Not sure which part is the alleyway but you need to check your deeds. You may own the land which the alleyway passes over - but you may have an obligation to leave it unobstructed - i.e. there may be a right of way across it.
  • Cassidy81101
    Options
    There is no mention of easement or row on the deeds 
  • Section62
    Section62 Posts: 7,796 Forumite
    Options
    What about your neighbour's deeds?

How would the neighbours react if you blocked it off?  Do they ever use it?  Do you get on well with them?

• Dustyevsky
    Dustyevsky Posts: 1,387 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Homepage Hero Photogenic
    Options
    What about other people's deeds? Just because yours are silent on this, it doesn't mean theirs are. Then again, if the alleyway has existed for more than 20 years and people have used it for access, they may well have created a right to use it by prescription.

Forget robot dogs; why not send people to the Moon?
  • Bigphil1474
    Bigphil1474 Posts: 2,430 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    The plan looks like a house with a road or track to the bottom end, then further garden belonging to the house. I would guess you own all the land but have requirement to retain access across the road. We have a similar path along our back garden although nobody ever uses it as there's no need. Only wide enough for a person not a vehicle. We have a gate on either side we put in 20 years ago and neither have never been opened. If it's not suitable for vehicles, I'd be inclined to extend your garden but leave access points just in case. If it's suitable for vehicles, I wouldn't.
  • Dustyevsky
    Dustyevsky Posts: 1,387 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Homepage Hero Photogenic
    Options
     If it's not suitable for vehicles, I'd be inclined to extend your garden but leave access points just in case. If it's suitable for vehicles, I wouldn't.
    Rights of way for foot traffic are important too. There was a thread on another forum a day or two ago, where a new neighbour had decided to use the rear access when previous occupants had "...respected privacy and even taken logs through their house," rather than use the indignant poster's garden. More fool them!
    Just because an access right isn't used for a time, doesn't mean it ceases to exist, though we don't know the legal situation here.

Forget robot dogs; why not send people to the Moon?
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback