Car damaged by football at kid's football match

Options

I am the Club Secretary of a grassroots football club (ages 7 to 15)

Our car park is next to the pitches and has a large sign saying “All vehicles left at owner’s risk”

A lady has emailed me photos of the damage to her car (small crack on rear window) after a wayward ball from a game hit her car. We have public liability insurance through our county FA but just want to find out if we are liable at all for this? 

Seems that parking our car next to a football match (with the sign too) - surely the risks are fairly clear and therefore accepted?

Many thanks

Comments

• Mark_d
    Mark_d Posts: 430 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    I don't think you could be held liable for this damage to the lady's car window.  You are playing football on football pitches and there is adequate signage.  What more could you be expected to you?  You have not been negligent in any way.
    Sometimes there are risks where it's purely down to bad luck.  If a branch of a tree gets blown on your car due to a gust of wind, are you going to make a claim against the owner of the tree?  Assuming the tree is looked after and generally not posing a risk, would it be reasonable to hold the tree's owner liable?
    My understanding is that, except in the case of personal injury, the claimant would need to prove negligence.
    43722 Posts: 233 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Same thing happened to me many years ago, except it was a cricket ball. In the end I picked up a second hand window and got it fixed. 
  • DullGreyGuy
    DullGreyGuy Posts: 10,460 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    What are the age of the kids that did it?

What is there between the pitches and the carpark to prevent it from happening?

Signage is useful but you still need to take reasonable efforts to ensure others property isn't damaged
  • mikepoole
    mikepoole Posts: 95 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options

Signage is useful but you still need to take reasonable efforts to ensure others property isn't damaged
    Nothing between the cars and the pitch (as with most local clubs). if you park your car right by the end of the pitch by the goals where 10 year old kids are going to be shooting, I'd say it's obvious your car is at risk of being hit
  • TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,489 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    I wouldn't think there would be any liability but confirm that with your local FA before responding to the complainant.
  • DullGreyGuy
    DullGreyGuy Posts: 10,460 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    mikepoole said:

Nothing between the cars and the pitch (as with most local clubs). if you park your car right by the end of the pitch by the goals where 10 year old kids are going to be shooting, I'd say it's obvious your car is at risk of being hit
    Cant comment on "most" as never been into football but certainly our local club, which we live next to, has circa 12' chainlink fences around the pitches. We still get the occasional ball coming over them but stands them in good stead for arguing they've taken their duty of care seriously... that said they recently got a slap from the planning office as they were supposed to have planted a "living wall" rather than just a chainlink along the boundary between the grounds and the neighbouring buildings. 

Agree speaking to the FA seems sensible, it's part of what your dues are for. 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback