Pension Consolidation

Options
I have taken early retirement, aged 64, I will need to transfer my pensions as my current pension providers package only offers that you take it as a whole lump sum which I do not wish to do.   I am not sure that I can deal with the transfer on my own or if I need to have an IFA.  If I need an IFA how do I go about finding one and does anyone have recommendations for one based on their past experience

Comments

• tacpot12
    tacpot12 Posts: 7,973 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    You can deal with the transfer yourself (you would need to transfer your pensions to a platform that will allow you manage your pension yourself, i.e. it will be a Self Invested Personal Pension or SIPP) or use an IFA. Finding an IFA is best done via personal recommendation. If you confirm where you are in the UK, you might get a recommendation from someone on the board who knows someone near you. Failing that, you might need to ask around friends and family.
    The comments I post are my personal opinion. While I try to check everything is correct before posting, I can and do make mistakes, so always try to check official information sources before relying on my posts.
  • MallyGirl
    MallyGirl Posts: 6,627 Senior Ambassador
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    if it is just a DC pension pot with no safeguarded benefits then you do not need to use an IFA. Do you have the skills to manage a SIPP or do you need a simpler product like a stakeholder pension? Depending on the value you might want to use an IFA in order to not make expensive mistakes if investing is new to you.
    If you want to use an IFA then finding a local one that you feel you can work with is probably best.
    I’m a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Pensions, Annuities & Retirement Planning, Loans
    & Credit Cards boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.
    All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • xylophone
    xylophone Posts: 44,427 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Is this a standard defined contribution pension with no safeguarded benefits?

What is the value of the pension?

It would be possible for you to choose a new provider and ask that new provider to arrange the transfer.

Your provider is likely to ask whether you have taken any guidance on the transfer - book an appointment with Pension Wise. 

https://www.moneyhelper.org.uk/en/pensions-and-retirement/pension-wise/book-a-free-pension-wise-appointment

If you feel that you need advice rather than just guidance, you will need to find an Independent Financial Adviser.

You could try

https://adviserbook.co.uk/

Tick confirmed independent  and other options as required.

Have you obtained a state pension forecast?

https://www.gov.uk/check-state-pension

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure