Wipe out Ovo bill?

Options
theeicebear
theeicebear Posts: 6 Forumite
First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
I have been trying to sort out my electric bill with Ovo for months now.

I am a considered a vulnerable adult (AuDHD, depression, anxiety, type 2 diabetes). I nearly died in Feb 2022 from covid and the DTs. As consequence I fell behind on my electric bill with Ovo.

As an autistic adult, I can not cope with phone calls. Especially when its Indian call centres. I'm a scouser, and they cant understand me at the best of times.

I have tried and tried to get Ovo to contact me and sort this out via email, whatsapp or face-to-face. Every single "solution" of theirs is "call us". When I got them to Whatsapp me, they put me through to 3 different departments and then onto Boost. Which I do not have an account with, they said to call this number...

Ovo is supposed to be a part of a vulnerability scheme to help people like me. They have been as much use as a chocolate fireguard. 

I was wondering if there is any way of getting this debt wiped out or seriously reduced? As I want to leave Ovo and go elsewhere as they are rubbish. 

Thanks in advance for any help, tips or advice! 
Simon 

Comments

• Robin9
    Robin9 Posts: 12,106 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Is there someone who could speak to OVO on your behalf - perhaps pretending to be you ?
    Never pay on an estimated bill
  • theeicebear
    Options
    Robin9 said:
    Is there someone who could speak to OVO on your behalf - perhaps pretending to be you ?
    Not really. No. 

It's also the principal that these companies should have provision and accessibility for people like me.
  • Ayr_Rage
    Ayr_Rage Posts: 1,055 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    Have you actually registered with their Priority Services Register?

They do have provisions for "people like me"

https://www.ovoenergy.com/help/article/priority-services-register

However, no energy company is likely to allow you to move away whilst your account is in debit.

I think the best you can hope for is a payment plan to clear the arrears.

• victor2
    victor2 Posts: 7,601 Ambassador
    I'm a Volunteer Ambassador First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Can you get an appointment with Citizens Advice and ask them to help sort it out?
    Or, as Robin9 suggests, ask someone to talk to OVO on your behalf. They shouldn't pretend to be you, but you inform OVO that they have your permission to discuss your account. Do you get medical support from anyone or any organisation who could step in on your behalf?
    Don't expect the debt to be wiped out, but a manageable means of repayment should be the goal, along with possibly reducing your usage.

I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the In My Home MoneySaving, Energy and Techie Stuff boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. 

All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

• theeicebear
    Options
    victor2 said:
    Can you get an appointment with Citizens Advice and ask them to help sort it out?
    Or, as Robin9 suggests, ask someone to talk to OVO on your behalf. They shouldn't pretend to be you, but you inform OVO that they have your permission to discuss your account. Do you get medical support from anyone or any organisation who could step in on your behalf?
    Don't expect the debt to be wiped out, but a manageable means of repayment should be the goal, along with possibly reducing your usage.
     I havent. But just contacted them about it. Thank you! 
  • victor2
    victor2 Posts: 7,601 Ambassador
    I'm a Volunteer Ambassador First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    victor2 said:
    Good luck. Do please come back and let us know how it goes.

I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the In My Home MoneySaving, Energy and Techie Stuff boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. 

All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

• theeicebear
    Options
    victor2 said:
    victor2 said:
    Good luck. Do please come back and let us know how it goes.
    I shall do, mate. Thank you for the advice! 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback