Deferred pension lump sum question

Options
Hi all, i have a deferred pension that i stopped paying into in 1989. I am 63 and was looking at maybe drawing this one a little early, i requested my figures for drawing early May and they have come back at £4944 annum or £3660 with £15,000 lump sum, does this lump sum seem a little low or am i missing something. Many thanks 

Comments

• xylophone
    xylophone Posts: 44,428 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Is this a public service pension scheme?
  • Dazed_and_C0nfused
    Dazed_and_C0nfused Posts: 13,483 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Hi all, i have a deferred pension that i stopped paying into in 1989. I am 63 and was looking at maybe drawing this one a little early, i requested my figures for drawing early May and they have come back at £4944 annum or £3660 with £15,000 lump sum, does this lump sum seem a little low or am i missing something. Many thanks 
    Yes.  You get a nice, one off, £15k (tax free).

But that costs you ~£100/month of your pension.  Forever.  And next year it will ~£100 plus the annual inflation increase, possibly 6.7%.

And so on until that £15k becomes very expensive.
  • Dukes_of_hazard
    Dukes_of_hazard Posts: 86 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    It seems a bit low to me !
    Easy Money
  • Marcon
    Marcon Posts: 10,691 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    Assuming this is a private sector scheme (dangerous things, assumptions!) with statutory minimum increases only...

Look at two things:

1. OP's age. Commutation rates normally dwindle as you get older, because the pension you are giving up will be paid for fewer years, so what you are giving up is reducing in value; and
    2. the date they left their scheme: 1989. If there's a GMP in there, that will revalue, but the excess over GMP didn't have to be increased during the period of deferment; and there are no guaranteed increases once the pension comes into payment.
    Googling on your question might have been both quicker and easier, if you're only after simple facts rather than opinions!  
  • biscuit1_2
    biscuit1_2 Posts: 181 Forumite
    Options
    xylophone said:
    No it's private sector, a food company 
  • biscuit1_2
    Options
    Yes.  You get a nice, one off, £15k (tax free).

But that costs you ~£100/month of your pension.  Forever.  And next year it will ~£100 plus the annual inflation increase, possibly 6.7%.

And so on until that £15k becomes very expensive.
    Not to worried about that, it's one of 3 pensions i have acquired through my whole working life, 
  • biscuit1_2
    Options
    Marcon said:
    Assuming this is a private sector scheme (dangerous things, assumptions!) with statutory minimum increases only...

Look at two things:

1. OP's age. Commutation rates normally dwindle as you get older, because the pension you are giving up will be paid for fewer years, so what you are giving up is reducing in value; and
    2. the date they left their scheme: 1989. If there's a GMP in there, that will revalue, but the excess over GMP didn't have to be increased during the period of deferment; and there are no guaranteed increases once the pension comes into payment.
    Yes it's a public sector pension and yes there is a GMP, i've currently just turned 63. i'm aware the value of the pension reduces if taken early but not that the lump sum calculation is affected, the figures quoted are based on my taking it in May this year.
  • Marcon
    Marcon Posts: 10,691 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    Marcon said:

Look at two things:

Yes it's a public sector pension and yes there is a GMP, i've currently just turned 63. i'm aware the value of the pension reduces if taken early but not that the lump sum calculation is affected, the figures quoted are based on my taking it in May this year.
    xylophone said:
    It can't be both public and private. If it's a food company then private looks probable!

The lump sum would be affected if your 'commutation factors' (the amount of cash you get per £1 of pension exchanged for cash) are age related. Have you checked? It's scheme-specific so you'd need to ask the administrators of the scheme.

Googling on your question might have been both quicker and easier, if you're only after simple facts rather than opinions!  
  • Dazed_and_C0nfused
    Dazed_and_C0nfused Posts: 13,483 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Marcon said:
    Marcon said:

Look at two things:

xylophone said:
    It can't be both public and private. If it's a food company then private looks probable!

The lump sum would be affected if your 'commutation factors' (the amount of cash you get per £1 of pension exchanged for cash) are age related. Have you checked? It's scheme-specific so you'd need to ask the administrators of the scheme.

And the poster who posed the question was actually @Andrewsmith2261
  • biscuit1_2
    Options
    Marcon said:
    Marcon said:

Look at two things:

xylophone said:

It is Private sector. Right that makes sense now, i didn't know commutation factors were age related. Many thanks 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback