Credit Score issue

Options
Hi, I’ve just tried to set up a new account with Credit Score but when I got to the end was told I already had an account set up - with an email that’s definitely not mine. Credit Score say I need to send them a photo of my passport or driving license to confirm my identity but is that okay?? I don’t like the idea of sending information like that to a company I don’t know much about, but obviously I don’t want someone setting up accounts using my information. Has anyone else had this experience? Thanks. 

Comments

• cymruchris
    cymruchris Posts: 5,233 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    kk246 said:
    Hi, I’ve just tried to set up a new account with Credit Score but when I got to the end was told I already had an account set up - with an email that’s definitely not mine. Credit Score say I need to send them a photo of my passport or driving license to confirm my identity but is that okay?? I don’t like the idea of sending information like that to a company I don’t know much about, but obviously I don’t want someone setting up accounts using my information. Has anyone else had this experience? Thanks. 

I've never heard of Credit Score - who are they? What do they do? And how did you find them to set up an account?
    An ex-bankrupt on a journey of recovery. Feel free to send me a DM reference credit building credit cards from the usual suspects :) Happy to help others going through what I've been through!
  • kk246
    kk246 Posts: 3 Newbie
    First Post
    Options
    Sorry my mistake, it’s ClearScore not CreditScore and I got the link from MSE to check my credit rating. 
  • cymruchris
    cymruchris Posts: 5,233 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Clearscore are a genuine company - and when I tried to sign up I did have difficulty in the past, and did send them a scanned copy of my passport for verification, so from that perspective I wouldn't worry too much about sending them a copy to prove who you are, and get access to your data. 

By doing so - whatever account might have been associated with your data previously will be removed, so whoever it was won't have access. It could be someone trying to find out about you, but it could also be an administrative error. At this stage, as long as the data on all three of the CRA's is accurate - it's not something I'd get too overly worried about.
    An ex-bankrupt on a journey of recovery. Feel free to send me a DM reference credit building credit cards from the usual suspects :) Happy to help others going through what I've been through!
  • kk246
    kk246 Posts: 3 Newbie
    First Post
    Options
    That’s great, thanks for your message. Feel a bit less panicked now!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback