Cheap Energy Club

Options
NittyGritty
NittyGritty Posts: 940 Forumite
First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
we all know the cheap energy club, closed/paused whatever you want to call it a while ago now, with new deals and some cheaper offers around why hasnt it come back yes i know theres not as many as before but there are clearly some out there now which are cheaper 

so why is it not come back online like other comparison sites, is it because theres not much commission for moneysavingexpert to be viable now? looks that way with the deals out there currently 

Comments

• MattMattMattUK
    MattMattMattUK Posts: 8,679 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    we all know the cheap energy club, closed/paused whatever you want to call it a while ago now, with new deals and some cheaper offers around why hasnt it come back yes i know theres not as many as before but there are clearly some out there now which are cheaper 

so why is it not come back online like other comparison sites, is it because theres not much commission for moneysavingexpert to be viable now? looks that way with the deals out there currently 
    There are not really any competitive deals around, there is not the headroom for the energy suppliers to offer a deal via MSE that would give consumers a discount. Fixes are not about saving money at the moment, they are about certainty. 
  • NittyGritty
    Options
    for me personally there are quite a few cheaper than the current price cap, hence my question it may help others just like other comparison sites out there, if they can do it why cant moneysavingexpert

• NittyGritty
    Options
    your right about fixes are about certainty, but didnt MSE have these on their cheap energy club before the crisis and then they closed the club, they pushed fixes aswell as variables, so i dont really see your point about fixes end of the day MSE get a kick back for every deal, now that there isnt much or not as many they seem to have pulled the club for now, hence my statement about not viable or worthwhile for them at the minute
  • MattMattMattUK
    MattMattMattUK Posts: 8,679 Forumite
    Options
    for me personally there are quite a few cheaper than the current price cap, hence my question it may help others just like other comparison sites out there, if they can do it why cant moneysavingexpert
    There are a lot of savings to be had on things like Octopus Tracker, on some of the ToU tariffs etc. but they are not standard fixes, the days being able to sign up to a fix at 25% less than SVT are long gone.
    your right about fixes are about certainty, but didnt MSE have these on their cheap energy club before the crisis and then they closed the club, they pushed fixes aswell as variables, so i dont really see your point about fixes end of the day MSE get a kick back for every deal, now that there isnt much or not as many they seem to have pulled the club for now, hence my statement about not viable or worthwhile for them at the minute
    Mostly they pushed 12 month fixes on those, that was where the biggest savings were usually to be had and because of the bulk sign up MSE usually had some good deals (eg. they could take 100k customers to a supplier, so it was worth it). Most of the comparison sites are offering fixes above what will be the new rates for the rest of the year, just slightly below the current SVT cap, some are offering below, but most of those are via the "loyalty" route for already signed up customers. It is probably not viable, but by the same measure most comparison sites will no be making much, if anything from energy at the moment. 
  • born_again
    born_again Posts: 14,469 Forumite
    Options

While cheaper now, but for how long. 

ML built this site on referrals & the "Bribes" they bring in. I guess the work involved does not balance out against the return on this..
    Why would a energy company, with their capped profits, pay to increase userbase other than via their own internal bribes?
    Life in the slow lane
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure