Can I get any info from anyone about UK Models?

Options
Hello everyone,

UK Models, has been booked by my wife for our child’s photo session. Does anyone in this forum have any such experience with the company?

This seems suspicious to me; according to my spouse, however, I always say no and prevent my child from having fun.

If you prefer to message me instead of posting, go ahead.

Many thanks.

Comments

• Mr.Generous
    Mr.Generous Posts: 3,379 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    All of these offers work by upselling a very expensive photo package with a credit agreement if possible. Expect a very hard sell.
  • Malthusian
    Malthusian Posts: 10,944 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    This seems suspicious to me; according to my spouse, however, I always say no and prevent my child from having fun.
    You'll have to say no to a lot more things after they get scammed into paying thousands for a "portfolio". Can't say yes to a trip to Legoland if the money was already spent on some worthless pictures.

If that is the kind of thing they say to you, then UK Models (a conveniently Google-proof name) are going to see them as a walking sack of money.
  • pinkshoes
    pinkshoes Posts: 20,090 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    edited 25 March at 11:21AM
    Options
    Hello everyone,

UK Models, has been booked by my wife for our child’s photo session. Does anyone in this forum have any such experience with the company?

Many thanks.
    Any genuine modelling company will NOT charge you any money for the portfolio, because if your child is any good, then they'll get plenty of jobs which will more than cover the agencies cost of the portfolio. 

Some agencies will charge for the portfolio, but ONLY once money has been earned by being successful in a casting. 

So if they ask for any money upfront, then walk away. 

Lots of these companies go for the hard sale and try and make you pay £100s for a portfolio, promising lots of potential work, then once you pay the money and have your folder of nice photos (which you could have got done yourself for a fraction of the price) any promise of a casting will vanish. 

By all means let your wife take your child, but don't let her take any bank cards, and block access to the online banking app!!
    Should've = Should HAVE (not 'of')
    Would've = Would HAVE (not 'of')

No, I am not perfect, but yes I do judge people on their use of basic English language. If you didn't know the above, then learn it! (If English is your second language, then you are forgiven!)
  • DullGreyGuy
    DullGreyGuy Posts: 10,458 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Hello everyone,

Many thanks.
    There are hundreds of places that offer to do a free photoshoot and maybe even give you a 4x6 print or two. Obviously on the day there is then a very hard sell for you buying a lot more prints or mugs or mousemats etc. These people are very good at selling and know how to use your kids against you. If you remain strong you can walk out with the free offer and not spend anything more but few do. 

This one is slightly different in terms of it claiming to help you become a model and so will focus on creation of a portfolio for you, digital or physical. I'd check closely what you are actually committing to by turning up on the day, and no show fees etc. On the plus side there will be less tat available but clearly they've another selling angle on denying your kid their shot at fame. 

Note also they own the photos copyright, I'd assume you'll have to sign a release form and so in principle they could sell the photos on, though just how many stock photos they want to have up for sale is another matter. 
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,764 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 25 March at 12:24PM
    Options
    Old thread, but I can't imagine much has changed in the interim. They are not an agency; they will not get your child modelling jobs if that is what your wife is expecting. What they will do is try very hard to sell her expensive photos. If she is happy with that, and does just want your child to have fun while spending some money then that is down to her. As long as she is realistic with any expectations.

Uk Models - has anyone had any experience with this company please? — MoneySavingExpert Forum

All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • Mr.Generous
    Mr.Generous Posts: 3,379 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    elsien said:
    Old thread, but I can't imagine much has changed in the interim. They are not an agency; they will not get your child modelling jobs if that is what your wife is expecting. What they will do is try very hard to sell her expensive photos. If she is happy with that, and does just want your child to have fun while spending some money then that is down to her. As long as she is realistic with any expectations.

Uk Models - has anyone had any experience with this company please? — MoneySavingExpert Forum

Good call, just a money making exercise. £1000 for a few photo's and some empty promises.
  • DullGreyGuy
    DullGreyGuy Posts: 10,458 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    elsien said:

Good call, just a money making exercise. £1000 for a few photo's and some empty promises.
    Not sure on their website there are many promises, they state everywhere that they aren't an agency and make no promises of work coming as a consequence. The only negative bit is the "applying" and getting "selected" for the shoot when inevitably everyone does. 

Imagine the on the day tactics are worse. 
  • Wyndham
    Wyndham Posts: 2,440 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    By all means let your wife take your child, but don't let her take any bank cards, and block access to the online banking app!!
    Well that's an interesting take on it all!

We don't know the family situation. The wife could well earn her own money, have her own cards etc. And while others can advise, we all have the 'right' to spend money on things that others wouldn't approve of if we so wish (assuming of sound mind etc.) Someone restricting anothers access to money is certainly suspect and potentially abusive.

After saying that - OP, I do suspect it's a scam and anyone engaging with it should tread carefully!

• elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,764 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Wyndham said:
    Well that's an interesting take on it all!

We don't know the family situation. The wife could well earn her own money, have her own cards etc. And while others can advise, we all have the 'right' to spend money on things that others wouldn't approve of if we so wish (assuming of sound mind etc.) Someone restricting anothers access to money is certainly suspect and potentially abusive.

After saying that - OP, I do suspect it's a scam and anyone engaging with it should tread carefully!

It’s not a scam because they’re not actually promising anything other than photos so there’s no deception going on. It’s more a very hard sell. 
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback