PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Using survey to bargain price

Options
Hi,

I'm going through the process of buying my first flat and have a problem. I've got to the stage where I've agreed a price, signed contracts and deeds and sent them back to my conveyancer, but stupidly left the survey until quite late, meaning I'm not sure if I can still use it as a bargaining tool for the price now. I don't have any completion dates yet, nor am I sure whether the contracts have been exchanged yet (I sent them 25th Feb).

The survey has come back stating that the gas boiler, electrics, and water haven't been serviced or inspected in several years and are overdue. Also that the boiler will need replacing very soon (something I knew).

I'm thinking that I should present the survey to my conveyancer and get the vendor to service and get inspections for the above, at their cost, before I continue with the purchase.

I'm also thinking I should insist I arrange to get them done with companies I choose, so I can insure independent professionals are used and not someone the vendor may get in who he knows.

Does this sound like a good approach to take? Does anyone have any other suggestions?

Comments

• Caz3121
    Caz3121 Posts: 15,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Does your survey show a valuation for current house condition- how does that compare to your offer price?
  • H337
    H337 Posts: 5 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Also, could I use the survey to renegotiate on the price even though I'm close to exchangin contracts?
  • Bluebell1000
    Bluebell1000 Posts: 1,074 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Water and electric surveys are not standard, though if it was rented the electrics would have been checked.

Gas boilers would ideally be serviced yearly, but if you know it's end of life anyway, is it really worth the hassle and potential risk of the seller pulling out?

I don't think it's unreasonable to ask if they would service the boiler, but if they are paying, I would expect them to choose the contractor. 

• jonnydeppiwish!
    jonnydeppiwish! Posts: 1,198 Forumite
    First Post Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    If I was the vendor, I’d politely being telling you to do one. If you want it done, you need to pay for it. There’s nothing you’ve mentioned that warrants a decrease in price.

That said, there’s nothing from stopping you from asking….
    2006 LBM £28,000+ in debt.
    2021 mortgage and debt free, working part time and living the dream
  • Bluebell1000
    Bluebell1000 Posts: 1,074 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    H337 said:
    Also, could I use the survey to renegotiate on the price even though I'm close to exchangin contracts?
    The survey sounds fairly reasonable and you knew about the boiler anyway, which should have been reflected in your initial offer. You can renegotiate price up until contract exchange. Just because you can do it, doesn't mean that I think it would be ethical to do it... (major unexpected problems are different, but personally if a survey showed nothing too drastic I wouldn't renegotiate).

There may be mortgage implications, which could delay exchange if the price changes. 

You would also need to decide what happens if they say no? Are you willing to walk away from the purchase and start again? Or would you just go ahead anyway?
  • cr1mson
    cr1mson Posts: 888 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    If you knew the boiler needed replaced then this is not new info so would have been factored into the price

In terms of servicing and inspections not sure how you would service and inspect water and electrics! Even if you could pretty good chance that they won't meet current standards. Think this may be surveyor CYAing.

And in terms of boiler service would just get it done when you move in or replace straightaway.

• user1977
    user1977 Posts: 14,098 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited 24 March at 8:04PM
    Options
    You already knew you hadn't had the gas/electrics inspected, you didn't need the surveyor to tell you that (and I'm not sure what sort of "water" service/inspection you're talking about?). Unless there are actually any material problems then I don't see legitimate scope for chipping away at the price.
  • H337
    Options
    Caz3121 said:
    Does your survey show a valuation for current house condition- how does that compare to your offer price?

No they didn't show a valuation of the flat.
  • H337
    Options
    I suppose what I'm trying to say is that as it's still the vendor's property, shouldn't it still be the their responsibility to ensure the service and test the gas and electrics are up to date? And if not, can I request they do so before sale?

• user1977
    user1977 Posts: 14,098 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    H337 said:
    I suppose what I'm trying to say is that as it's still the vendor's property, shouldn't it still be the their responsibility to ensure the service and test the gas and electrics are up to date? And if not, can I request they do so before sale?
    It's their property and (assuming it's not let) entirely up to them whether they service the gas and electrics or keep them up to date.

You can request whatever you like, but if what you actually want are reports you can rely on about the condition of the gas/electrics, you get your own people in. It is not normal or compulsory for the vendor to do anything.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback