PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Property being sold cash sale. Renting over 10 years

Options
I have been renting for over 10 years with the knowledge of the landlord that I wanted to purchase the property if it was ever to be sold. My landlord informed me that someone had offered them a cash sale (unsure of the amount they offered) I do not have a tenancy agreement but have paid rent (cash in hand) for as I said over 10 years. Do I have any rights to have a chance of purchasing the property? And if not what rights do I have if the property is sold to a new owner?

Comments

• jonnydeppiwish!
    jonnydeppiwish! Posts: 1,197 Forumite
    First Post Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Nope rights whatsover
    2006 LBM £28,000+ in debt.
    2021 mortgage and debt free, working part time and living the dream
  • markin
    markin Posts: 3,848 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    He can sell to anyone, its a shame he didn't give you the chance to offer.
  • swingaloo
    swingaloo Posts: 2,751 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Presumably you have not been served notice? The new owner will be your new landlord.
  • chanz4
    chanz4 Posts: 10,895 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Xmas Saver!
    Options
    Hope he protected your deposit /declared your income
    Don't put your trust into an Experian score - it is not a number any bank will ever use & it is generally a waste of money to purchase it. They are also selling you insurance you dont need.
  • GDB2222
    GDB2222 Posts: 24,673 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 24 March at 5:51PM
    Options
    The obvious thing to do is to ask the landlord what figure he is prepared to sell at, and then see if you can afford the same.   If you can afford it, you could ask for the chance to buy, and if you can't afford it then at least you have tried. 

No reliance should be placed on the above! Absolutely none, do you hear?
  • AlexMac
    AlexMac Posts: 2,990 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Or start to play hardball?  Read the many threads on this forum about tenants’ rights and landlord obligations, hinted at in the replies above. 

As your landlord if the buyer knows there is a sitting tenant who will be tricky to get rid of in case that gives you leverage to at worst, delay the sale, and at best give you a crack at buying it yourself? 
  • marcia_
    marcia_ Posts: 1,851 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    Nope rights whatsover
     Wrong, the poster is a tenant with a verbal agreement. Will continue to be a tenant under new ownership 
  • km1500
    km1500 Posts: 2,331 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    A tenant with an oral.agreement, but still a tenant with all the rights and responsibilties.
  • Hoenir
    Hoenir Posts: 2,099 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    You could always suggest politely to your LL that they sell the property to you or you'll speak to the HMRC (amongst others). 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback