What's the point in leaving feedback on ebay

Options
When buying on ebay I thought you leave feedback to let other buyers know about your experience but when I left 3 sellers negative feedback the feedback was removed so I went on live chat and this is what they said.

I just checked  the shared order id and the feedback has been removed by the system because there were the case filed by you and as seller did not answer hence system did the refund for the orders and automatically removed the feedback and took action on the seller account and marked the transactions as defect on the seller account.
As action already taken on the seller account hence system removed it by default at the time of refunding the order.
You could left the follow up comment for the order and I have reported this seller too form our end.

The feedback system is designed to evaluate sellers, not buyers, and eBay encourages sellers to handle negative feedback professionally and as an opportunity to reflect on their selling activity.
Our  system already took action on the order and seller account hence by default it has been removed at the refunding the amount but rest assured we have keep the record and marked the defect on the seller account.
My own judgement from speaking to you today would be that the feedback should not have been removed by the system while doing the refund for the order.
I could understand and I agreed with you but as seller was not doing the refund hence system did the refund by automatically and it got removed. But trust me the transaction and case will file on the seller account and it will impact the seller performance.

If they will repeat such cases again  then our system will put the restriction on their account for selling.
Our system put the verification on their account for 30 days and will review their performance.
Feedback is valuable for sellers to understand the health of their business and for buyers to establish trust. eBay takes the roles of feedback seriously and will step in to protect its usefulness and integrity.

But some time due to system auto refund it happens because we would like to take action on the seller account so that it could not raise the bad buying experience to other buyers.
But some time we face such issues when system do the refund and rest assured I have noted this issue.

Comments

• soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,208 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 23 March at 8:11PM
    Options
    Are you still not choosing your sellers with care? Although the chat from eBay is almost gibberish , it certainly doesn’t make any sense at all with the misuse of words and strange grammar.

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6509727/activity-on-your-account-isn-t-following-policy-abusive-buyer-policy#latest

I don’t believe I’ve had to leave any negative feedback now for several years , and I buy regularly. 
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • Hoenir
    Hoenir Posts: 2,108 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Is this related to your previous thread on a similar topic in some way. I'm carefull what I buy on Ebay and who from. Always have been. Very rarely had the slightest irritation even. Cannot even remember the last time I was inclined to leave negative feedback. 

• imalwaystired
    imalwaystired Posts: 207 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    soolin said:
    Are you still not choosing your sellers with care? Although the chat from eBay is almost gibberish , it certainly doesn’t make any sense at all with the misuse of words and strange grammar.

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6509727/activity-on-your-account-isn-t-following-policy-abusive-buyer-policy#latest

I don’t believe I’ve had to leave any negative feedback now for several years , and I buy regularly. 
    How can you say I'm not choosing sellers with care when ebay is removing feedback.
  • imalwaystired
    Options
    Hoenir said:
    Is this related to your previous thread on a similar topic in some way. I'm carefull what I buy on Ebay and who from. Always have been. Very rarely had the slightest irritation even. Cannot even remember the last time I was inclined to leave negative feedback. 

Two negatives were from my last post but I've had another problem with a seller so I left negative feedback but it was removed so that's why I contacted ebay.
  • prettyandfluffy
    prettyandfluffy Posts: 729 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    I've been buying and selling on EBay for 20 years and I consider leaving negative feedback a last resort after exhausting all other avenues; in fact it is rarely necessary under the current EBay regime.  It not only reflects on the seller you leave negative feedback for but also on you if you do this frequently; you also need to be careful about what comments you make.
  • zackary71
    zackary71 Posts: 276 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 24 March at 8:37AM
    Options
    Leaving Negative Feedback should always be a last resort...it's not confetti.

I'd be interested to know how the OP would have dealt with a real purchase issue I had this week. If the first thought is 'negative feedback', then I would suggest avoiding eBay going forward. 

Purchased an item from a Seller I'd bought from previously. Cost c. £20. Item arrived on time, but I could tell there was a lot less length-wise of the item than I'd purchased before. Measured it and it was 35% short. So what would you do ? 
  • Money_Grabber13579
    Money_Grabber13579 Posts: 4,267 Forumite
    Newshound! Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I've been buying and selling on EBay for 20 years and I consider leaving negative feedback a last resort after exhausting all other avenues; in fact it is rarely necessary under the current EBay regime.  It not only reflects on the seller you leave negative feedback for but also on you if you do this frequently; you also need to be careful about what comments you make.
    Agreed, when anyone makes me an offer, I’ll look at feedback they leave for others and if I see a history of leaving negative feedback, I’ll decline their offer, irrespective of how reasonable it might be.
    Northern Ireland club member No 382 :j
  • prowla
    prowla Posts: 13,165 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I often check out a seller's feedback when I look at buying things on eBay; if they remove negatives then they are misrepresenting their sellers information.
    That means the info isn't trustworthy.
    That said, eBay have put in place automated systems which simply don't work; I've posted reports about counterfeit items and I get replies saying they haven't broken any rules.
    So I've lost faith in eBay's checks and balances, as they're simply neglected.
    On top of that they now insist that making an offer commits you to auto-paying for all future items using that method.
    But I'd like to pay cash on collection or pay using another method of my choice on checkout (eg. depending on my card's statement date).
    And then there's their annoying messages about watched items imminently ending...
    Overall, eBay is now a bit of a chore to use.
  • imalwaystired
    Options
    zackary71 said:

I'd be interested to know how the OP would have dealt with a real purchase issue I had this week. If the first thought is 'negative feedback', then I would suggest avoiding eBay going forward. 

Purchased an item from a Seller I'd bought from previously. Cost c. £20. Item arrived on time, but I could tell there was a lot less length-wise of the item than I'd purchased before. Measured it and it was 35% short. So what would you do ? 
    Well it all depends on what the description said about the length. If it was strimmer wire that was sealed in a packet then that's not the seller fault but if it's cut from a reel then I would contact them to see what they said before leaving any feedback.

Now what would you do.

I bought an item that never arrived and the seller never replied to my message or the dispute so I left negative feedback (Item never arrived and seller never replied to messages) and ebay removed it. I got an email from ebay saying my item is being posted and and on my order detail page it shows it was dispatched with Royal Mail Tracked 48 but no tracking number was provided.

• Spoonie_Turtle
    Spoonie_Turtle Posts: 8,431 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    zackary71 said:

Now what would you do.

I bought an item that never arrived and the seller never replied to my message or the dispute so I left negative feedback (Item never arrived and seller never replied to messages) and ebay removed it. I got an email from ebay saying my item is being posted and and on my order detail page it shows it was dispatched with Royal Mail Tracked 48 but no tracking number was provided.

Did you ask eBay to step in before the INR case timed out?
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback