Blacklisted by Lloyds Banking Group plc?

Options
I had my vehicle financed by Black Horse way back in April 2018. Fast forward to February this year, I made an inquiry to Black Horse finance in relation to car finance mis-selling after watching Martin Lewis show. An acknowledgement letter was received with a promise to look into the issue.
Then on 11th of March, I did successfully apply for MBNA credit card through Experian after being pre-approved first. An account was opened with £4800 as my credit limit. To my horror, I received a text the following day notifying me of the closure of the account. The text went and I quote, "MR ...... after you recently applied for Credit Card, we needed to complete some further checks. Based on some information you gave, or we've had from credit reference or fraud prevention agencies, we've had to close the account. Please destroy any letters, cards or PINs you receive. If you have a credit or debit balance, we will be sending you a letter with next steps for dealing with this. We appreciate this may not be expected so if you'd like to talk to us, please call 0345 835 8020. We're here Monday to Friday 8.30am - 5.30pm, and Saturday 9am - 12.30pm" end of quote. 
It took me sometime to realise that MBNA, just like Black Horse finance are owned by Lloyds Banking Group plc. 
After gathering myself, I did call the number on the 14th of March to try and find out as to why my account was abruptly closed. The guy I spoke to, refused to give the reason and refused to say either way when I asked as to whether that's linked to my Black Horse finance inquiry.
May I say that I have since successfully applied for another credit card and hence the reasons given in their text seem to be untrue.
With all this, my take is that I have been blacklisted, unless otherwise given a real reason. 
Has anyone out there have had my experience?

Comments

• Hoenir
    Hoenir Posts: 2,099 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    The connection you've made is extremely tenuous. Something else lies behind the decision. 
  • Ayr_Rage
    Ayr_Rage Posts: 1,055 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    Pure speculation, check the CRAs
  • fatbelly
    fatbelly Posts: 20,510 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Cashback Cashier
    Options
    You should defo check your credit files and in future avoid the Lloyds group.
  • martinbainbridge1975
    Options
    as above i would take a look at credit files, I have an enquiry in with black horse regarding previous car finance and also have an MBNA card, my card has not been closed down as a result of the car finance complaint.

it is a bit odd to open a card for a customer and then close it quickly, would normally expect checks to be done before any cards are issued.
  • born_again
    born_again Posts: 14,464 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    as above i would take a look at credit files, I have an enquiry in with black horse regarding previous car finance and also have an MBNA card, my card has not been closed down as a result of the car finance complaint.

it is a bit odd to open a card for a customer and then close it quickly, would normally expect checks to be done before any cards are issued.
    Checks are all system based. So cards will get sent out if all looks OK. Then they get manually checked, which must have thrown a query, which when checked out meant they did not want the customer.

It will certainly have nothing to do with the finance claim. As for a start FCA are not even going to make a decision if there are any claims till Sept this year. So there is no guarantee that anyone will get anything yet.
    Life in the slow lane
  • Timoo
    Timoo Posts: 3 Newbie
    First Post
    Options
    Thank you very much for the comments above. Like I mentioned in my original posting, and partly commented by martinbainbridge1975, it's really a bit odd to have an account opened (in which case I PASSED credit checks) only to get it closed the next day. Again upon inquiring with MBNA as why my account got closed so abruptly, I got no answer. Also I can confirm that my credit score with all CRAs tick the boxes, I.e excellent with Experian. To test the waters, I did apply for another credit card with a different company soon after this bombshell, and guess what, passed with flying colours. I nervously waited for what could happen the next day though. Thankfully no cancellation text came forth this time and everything is going on fine, hence now looking forward to start enjoying this new credit card soon, with all its offers.
    As to what happened with MBNA, remains a mystery. 
  • Nasqueron
    Nasqueron Posts: 8,836 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Timoo said:
    Thank you very much for the comments above. Like I mentioned in my original posting, and partly commented by martinbainbridge1975, it's really a bit odd to have an account opened (in which case I PASSED credit checks) only to get it closed the next day. Again upon inquiring with MBNA as why my account got closed so abruptly, I got no answer. Also I can confirm that my credit score with all CRAs tick the boxes, I.e excellent with Experian. To test the waters, I did apply for another credit card with a different company soon after this bombshell, and guess what, passed with flying colours. I nervously waited for what could happen the next day though. Thankfully no cancellation text came forth this time and everything is going on fine, hence now looking forward to start enjoying this new credit card soon, with all its offers.
    As to what happened with MBNA, remains a mystery. 
    Your score is meaningless, no lender ever sees it, it plays no part in any application

You can be blacklisted by a firm on their internal list but this would not be related to your DCA complaint, it would be something like, as an example, previous defaults that were never paid and became statute barred. Lenders cannot punish people for raising complaints - at the very least, they may not have used DCA (so owe nothing) or the FCA review might say there was no mis-selling - so no reason to target you
  • FredTrump
    FredTrump Posts: 383 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    You can request a SAR if you like and it may/may not shed some light on the matter
    Requesting your information | Contact Us | MBNA
  • Timoo
    Timoo Posts: 3 Newbie
    First Post
    Options
    Many thanks all for your contributions. As I'm currently able to successfully apply for credit with other lenders, I will just stay away from Lloyds like one contributor suggested. I have always maintained my accounts excellently, including the now settled Lloyds Blackhorse with NO single payment missed, not even a payment holiday during Covid pandemic.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback