How to read this meter?

Options
Yorkie006
Yorkie006 Posts: 203 Forumite
First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
Hi,
not familiar with this old type of meter. How do you read it? To me it looks like a reading of 55188 (I'm assuming the red number doesn't matter when taking readings) but need to be sure before submitting it to the supplier.
Thank you!

Comments

• HumberFlyer
    HumberFlyer Posts: 148 Forumite
    edited 23 March at 11:25AM
    Options
    Yes... that is the correct reading... suppose you could call the last number ...9
  • Netexporter
    Netexporter Posts: 1,207 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Yes, your reading is correct. It gets trickier when several needles are almost directly over a number and you have to decide which side of the line they are. It is best to start from the right, in those cases, as that will help with interpreting the next digit.

As an aside, I'd say that meter is way outside it's certified lifetime and should be replaced.
  • Yorkie006
    Yorkie006 Posts: 203 Forumite
    Options

As an aside, I'd say that meter is way outside it's certified lifetime and should be replaced.
    Thanks, I'm planning on getting a smart meter. Just bought the house, it's an ex-rental. Need to get energy account set up first but it's on the (long) to-do list.
  • jbuchanangb
    jbuchanangb Posts: 1,326 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    You need to find out which energy company is the existing supplier, call them and give them that reading. Don't leave it too long, and don't contact any other supplier until the existing supplier has you set up properly.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback