UC Advance payment

Options
I attending ID appointment at the Jobcentre on Tuesday. After the verification done. I checked on the journal and the advance payment was showing £950 which is the correct amount based on the UC calculations which I have done online. 

Today I checked it and ita showing £1991. That makes no sense. Are they applying this amount before deductions? 

Thanks 

Comments

• sammyjammy
    sammyjammy Posts: 7,389 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    You need to provide some more information if people are to help you.  Have you just moved from tax credits?  Were you just expecting the advance payment do £950?  When did you make your claim?
    "You've been reading SOS when it's just your clock reading 5:05 "
  • superM
    superM Posts: 354 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I made the claim last week and moving from Tax credits. I have used Turn2us calculator which showed £932 per month after deductions and £1992 before deductions.

So it does look like the advance payment they are calculating is before deductions. 

That's normally how it works otherwise it would put people in allot of advance payment when they have less entitlement. 
  • NedS
    NedS Posts: 3,615 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Yes, that's normally how it works as they do not know how much your deductions will be before the end of the month. You are basing your deductions on what you expect to be paid, but UC do not have that insight, so the advance is based on the full unreduced entitlement even though it is unlikely that is the amount you will actually receive.
  • Newcad
    Newcad Posts: 926 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Also note that the amount of Advance offered changes as more elements are added to the claim in the first month.
    For instance when I claimed UC the first Advance offered was just the Standard Allowance, then the amount offered went up when the LCW element was added to my claim, and then again as the Housing Element was added.
    You don't have to take an Advance if you don't want one, or you can take less than what is being offered.
    If you take an Advance of less than is is being offered, or take an early offer that later increases, then you may be able to get a second Advance, you would have to justify why you need a second Advance.
    If you should do that then the first and second Advance payments together can't total more than your monthly entitlement.
    Of course Advances have to be paid back, by a deduction each month from your ongoing UC payments.
    You can choose the time period to pay it back (up to 24 months) the shorter the period you choose the more they will deduct each month.

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback