Surveillance by income protection insurer- I am being followed, I think

Options
I've been receiving monthly payments under a group income protection policy for the last 10 years due to a long-term illness that means I cannot work.  I'm pretty sure I've been followed when I leave my house over the last couple of weeks by the same guy.  Talked it through with a couple of sensible people and they don't think it's just me being paranoid.  It is disconcerting to say the least - a horrible feeling.  Just wondering if anyone knows whether this is just something insurers do from time to time on a long term claim.  I am never doing anything I say I can't do, because I can't, so I don't think they will have any reason not to keep paying.  But, it is playing on my mind - had a very sleepless night last night.  I am considering reporting it to the police just in case this guy isn't there for the insurers and something more sinister is going on (I don't think so, but maybe i should just in case).  

Comments

• propertyrental
    propertyrental Posts: 2,543 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Ask a couple of your sensible people to follow the guy who's following you......?
  • user1977
    user1977 Posts: 14,089 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited 23 March at 11:04AM
    Options
    No harm in reporting it to the police, surely? At the time you're being followed would make most sense.

I don't have much relevant experience, but it would seem odd for the insurers to start investigating after 10 years.
  • YBR
    YBR Posts: 553 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Options
    Ask a couple of your sensible people to follow the guy who's following you......?

This.
    And to take photos if they can.
    Then report to the police because hopefully this will bring about a resolution and you'll know whether it's stalking, surveillance or something else.

To be frank, insurers do investigate some claims because a fraction of them are fraudulent and until investigated they won't know which. Don't take it personally.
  • lassfarfromhome
    lassfarfromhome Posts: 110 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Thanks everyone for replying on a Saturday morning. Some really helpful advice here!
  • LightFlare
    LightFlare Posts: 544 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    You could contact the company that pays out the policy.

Ask them outright and state that you are considering going to the police over personal safety concerns.

Ofc - they won’t say yes, but if said person “disappears” then you have your answer and if they say no - then head to your nearest police station.

• TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,489 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    My wife used to work for an insurance company and a major part of her duties was to type up the reports submitted by investigators.  That work kept her pretty busy.  Most of that type of surveillance isn't random, they would have a reason for doing it, for example somebody stating that the person was doing something they claimed to be unable to do .  That is not to say that the information they are acting on is correct.  With a claim like the OPs I would actually be quite surprised if they haven't been checked on before.
  • Emmia
    Emmia Posts: 3,169 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    Have you thought about approaching them and asking if they're following you?
  • LightFlare
    LightFlare Posts: 544 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    edited 24 March at 2:52PM
    Options
    Emmia said:
    This could be a very dangerous thing to do IF the person is a stalker

I 100% would suggest the OP does NOT do this
  • lassfarfromhome
    Options
    Emmia said:
    This could be a very dangerous thing to do IF the person is a stalker

I 100% would suggest the OP does NOT do this
    Agreed. Absolutely no way would I ever do this
  • lassfarfromhome
    Options
    Emmia said:
    Thanks, but I see only downsides.  First, as LightFlare says, it has the potential to be dangerous if the person is not, in fact, acting on behalf of the insurers.  Second, they will not admit to following me or that they are doing so on behalf of the insurers.  It simply alerts them to the fact that I know they are there, so they can change the person/strategy, and doesn't get me any confirmation of what they are doing or not.  Right now, I have an advantage (I know I am being watched, and they don't know that I know) which I would be very unwise to give up.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback