TC migration to UC estimated Self employed income with savings.

Options
justwhat
justwhat Posts: 625 Forumite
First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
edited 23 March at 7:08PM in Benefits & tax credits
Our income/savings interest is normally estimated for TC until the end of april . After April we finalize our SE income and submit the figure to TC. (we usually rush about getting finalized figures)

We have just got our migration letter. Is it better to hold off finalizing income/savings or submit it now.

Estimation was 8k income inc savings interest
However actual is 13kish income including savings interest  . Most  SE earned income and PAYE was put into pensions.

Migration deadline is mid June. 

i assume its is better to keep the TC award as high as possible before moving over. But i am confused, as the 2 systems regard savings interest differently. And what knock on effect that has.

Can you actually move over to UC and when figures are only estimated for TC?

Comments

• huckster
    huckster Posts: 4,826 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Over complicating ?

If you are better off currently on TC,  then leave it until nearer deadline in June before claiming UC. For UC you will record actual money, savings and investments information.
    The comments I post are personal opinion. Always refer to official information sources before relying on internet forums. If you have a problem with any organisation, enter into their official complaints process at the earliest opportunity, as sometimes complaints have to be started within a certain time frame.
  • Dazed_and_C0nfused
    Dazed_and_C0nfused Posts: 13,490 Forumite
    Options
    justwhat said:
    Our income/savings interest is normally estimated for TC until the end of april . After April we finalize our SE income and submit the figure to TC. (we usually rush about getting finalized figures)

We have just got our migration letter. Is it better to hold off finalizing income/savings or submit it now.

However actual is 13kish savings interest . All SE earned income and PAYE was put into pensions.

i assume its is better to keep the TC award as high as possible before moving over. But i am confused, as the 2 systems regard savings interest differently. And what knock on effect that has.

Will you be eligible for UC with the level of capital that must exist to return that interest 🤔
  • justwhat
    Options
    justwhat said:

However actual is 13kish savings interest . All SE earned income and PAYE was put into pensions.

Will you be eligible for UC with the level of capital that must exist to return that interest 🤔
    Yes , for the one year transitional  period. after that no.  
  • peteuk
    peteuk Posts: 1,337 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    justwhat said:
    justwhat said:

Your incorrect - the cut off for capital is £16K - so with £13K you’ll be able to claim UC.  
    What will happen, is for every £250 or part of within £250 over £6K, your claim will be decreased by £4.35.  
    If you claim UC your TC will stop however you can use a benefit calculator to see how much UC you’ll get. 
    Proud to have dealt with our debts
    Starting debt 2005 £65.7K.
    Current debt ZERO.
    DEBT FREE
  • Dazed_and_C0nfused
    Dazed_and_C0nfused Posts: 13,490 Forumite
    Options
    peteuk said:
    justwhat said:
    justwhat said:

Your incorrect - the cut off for capital is £16K - so with £13K you’ll be able to claim UC.  
    What will happen, is for every £250 or part of within £250 over £6K, your claim will be decreased by £4.35.  
    If you claim UC your TC will stop however you can use a benefit calculator to see how much UC you’ll get. 
    It was £13k interest not capital.

Even with the best rates possible of 7-8% that would be capital of best part of £200k
  • Newcad
    Newcad Posts: 925 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    edited 23 March at 6:52PM
    Options
    Actually, as it's stated then it isn't clear if it's meant as £13k in interest, or if it's intrest on £13k savings, or £13k including the interest on savings.
    From the previous line I tend towards the last one and that it should read "13kish inc savings interest".
    @justwhat, could you clarify that.
  • Spoonie_Turtle
    Spoonie_Turtle Posts: 8,431 Forumite
    edited 23 March at 6:33PM
    Options
    I think people have misread the context of that, and there may have been a word missing.
    justwhat said:
    However actual is 13kish savings interest .
    Seems the £13k is income including savings interest.
  • Newcad
    Newcad Posts: 925 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    We cross posted and I agree that "including" was probably what was meant
  • justwhat
    Options
    Newcad said:
    We cross posted and I agree that "including" was probably what was meant
    i have amended it.  I think "huckster" gave me the answer.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback