PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Late rent payment calculations

Options
Hi

I wondered if someone could help.

I went through a divorce and got my house which had to be rented out as I needed to leave town. I have had tenants in since June 2022. Renting at 1500. Rent since then hasn't been increased. On the whole good tenants. I have immediately reaponded to any issues i.e. blocked drains etc on the same day so the house is ijngood state of repair.

However due to the mortgage rate increase and me now being single I decided to sell. All along they have been somewhat difficult which is understandable. I gave them lots of notice- very mindful of viewings and said they could leave whenever they wanted. They requested Rent not be increased which I agreed. In January section 21 was served as I need to try and sell it empty. Im struggling with the mortgage payments and paying tax so moved in with my parents in the interim. Tenants due to leave March but are refusing and are being dishonest on the whole. 

They paid part Rent on 21/02 however owed £616.33 which they paid earlier this week but it was 27 days late. The agency said they don't do late payment fees but my AST clearly says they do and I feel the agency are supporting the tenants more. So how would the 27 days late rent interest be calculated 
The tenancy agreement states "the tenant will on demand pay to the Landlord interest on that amount at the rate of 3% above the Bank of England Base Rate calculated from the date due until actual payment".

Can someone help with the calculations please as I can't really trust my agency either. 

Thank you!

Comments

• anselld
    anselld Posts: 8,283 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    616.33 * 8.25 / 100 = 50.85 if they were a year late
    50.85 * 27 / 365 = 3.76 for 27 days late

It is not mathematically perfect but it illustrates why the agency don't bother, because even with relatively high base rates the fee is trivial.

You would be better to concentrate on acting upon your s21 as the tenant has clearly been advised that it does not compel them to leave.  Next time they are late payment issue a s8 also.
  • sandyk01
    sandyk01 Posts: 71 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Ah ok that makes sense! I wasn't sure what that process looked like. 

Youre right it's pointless pursuing that so I'll just continue with the court process.

Thank you!
  • theartfullodger
    theartfullodger Posts: 14,608 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Forget late rent payments.. if it ever gets to court easily challenged as unfair , badly worded(means not what you thought) or invalid.

Just serve s8. S8g10 may be validly served if only 1p underpaid for just one day.

Very cheap way if sending a message.

What reference would you provide?
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport