Savings rate drop

Options
Hi, my Santander easy access savings account has just dropped its interest rate by 1% to 4.2%.  I've just checked MSE and currently Cynergy are offering 5.1%, Charter SB 5.08%, Kent Reliance 5.07% and Virgin 5.06%.  But are any of them likely to follow suit and drop their rates in the next few days? (I don't know if they are variable like the Santander one was.) Should I switch, or should I wait a week or two to see how the market settles?  Please advise. Thanks!

Comments

• InvesterJones
    InvesterJones Posts: 704 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Hi, my Santander easy access savings account has just dropped its interest rate by 1% to 4.2%.  I've just checked MSE and currently Cynergy are offering 5.1%, Charter SB 5.08%, Kent Reliance 5.07% and Virgin 5.06%.  But are any of them likely to follow suit and drop their rates in the next few days? (I don't know if they are variable like the Santander one was.) Should I switch, or should I wait a week or two to see how the market settles?  Please advise. Thanks!
    Has your santander rate actually dropped yet? If the others are variable rate then yes, they may drop their rates too.
  • mebu60
    mebu60 Posts: 909 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Unless you are wanting to fix a rate for a specified duration I would start by not doing anything much until 20th May when the Santander rate actually drops. You can start checking out potential alternatives a week or so beforehand.
  • liverbearofdeal
    Options
    Thanks for the comments I've had so far. I've just looked and all the others I mentioned say they are variable rates, so I'm thinking that unless any of them have already gone down in the last few days, chances are they could do soon.  Is that a fair assumption?
  • DJSINGH
    DJSINGH Posts: 176 Forumite
    edited 22 March at 5:15PM
    Options
    It drops down in May doesnt it? (I have the same 5.2% account)
  • InvesterJones
    InvesterJones Posts: 704 Forumite
    edited 22 March at 5:16PM
    Options
    Thanks for the comments I've had so far. I've just looked and all the others I mentioned say they are variable rates, so I'm thinking that unless any of them have already gone down in the last few days, chances are they could do soon.  Is that a fair assumption?
    That they could go down is a fair assumption. What they did in the last few days is irrelevant though.
  • allegro120
    allegro120 Posts: 866 Forumite
    Options
    As others pointed out, Santander is still 5.2% until 20th May.  All easy access accounts are variable, so can drop their rates at any point.  I'm pretty sure they will all drop, but we don't know how soon and by what percentage. Some of them tend to keep the rates for longer but take if off sale for new customers. I'd open all easy access you can find above 5% now and then see what the picture is on 20th May.
  • EthicsGradient
    EthicsGradient Posts: 886 Forumite
    Options
    FWIW, I opened a Cynergy easy access account around October 2023, paying 5.15%, and although the terms allow them to decrease the rate (up to a point - part of it is a "bonus" lasting up to a year, which they can't cut), they haven't done so, despite changing the rate for new accounts to 5.10%. That's no guarantee that will continue to be their policy, of course - I suspect that when the Bank of England does cut its rate, Cynergy and others will cut the rates on their accounts by a similar amount.
  • surreysaver
    surreysaver Posts: 4,105 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Which Santander account is that? I've got one paying 5.2% and mine doesn't drop until May. I'll likely use my Barclays Rainy Day Saver from then. Or more likely a flexible cash ISA, depending upon what those rates are like in a couple of months 
    I consider myself to be a male feminist. Is that allowed?
  • Hoenir
    Hoenir Posts: 2,104 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    edited 23 March at 12:46AM
    Options
    Santander are a sizable banking operation. When they are reducing their deposit rates substantially. It's a sign of more broader movements in the money markets.

At the macro level. In the twelve months to the end of January 2024 mortgage borrowers repaid more to lenders than was advanced. This is the first time that has occured on record since March 1994 when the measure was introduced. Falling demand for deposits currently is in some ways is therefore no great surprise. As banks will only borrow what they need to fund their own activities. 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback