SLC not sure they want to pay out !? I think they are trying new tactics....

Options
I Just got off the phone today with the SLC(0300 100 0628), as I had to reset my password details. I have finished paying off my Plan 1 loan since 1998!  (YIPPIE...probably paid more in interest over the years than the loan itself) and they are refunding £71 after calling this number
I also asked the lady about claiming back for when I was working part-time because I wasn't reaching the threshold for them to be taking money out ( back then I was paid £6 per hour and working part-time) and every March when we made bonus the student loan would come out. Her reply was well you met the threshold in March so that is correct money will be coming out. I mentioned that I didn't meet the threshold for the rest of the months only when we got the bonus I am sure I could claim this money back as it was only for one month every year and they wouldn't take it any other month other people have claimed. Her words were nobody has ever claimed money back and Mr Lewis is giving wrong information out !
At this point, I knew she either didn't want to help me or she didn't know what she was talking about.
I took her name and thanked her.
I called back an hour later ( SLC 0300 100 0611) as I was going to fill out my SCL refund request form, but realised I couldn't due to the card number not being the same since 1998, it needed updating.
I explained my situation about the bonus she checked and realised that I am owed money over the years £700 due to when they were taking the bonus money out every March.(2002-2014)
But the problem was that the loan had just been finished off I would owe that money and would have to start paying student loans again ???!! because it would be a shortfall that helped me pay off my loan?!?
I had to choose to either open up my student loan again and start paying this money or just let it be ! 
I did ask this lady can I have an email explaining this, but I won't be getting an email, I should receive a letter by post.
Has anybody experienced this at all? Am I being fobbed off? Can I even fight this as there is nothing to say I can't have the money that was automatically being taken when it shouldn't have? it wasn't my fault, There is no clause in the contract to say I would have to pay money that they made a mistake in taking but don't want to give it back?
Mr Lewis help!

Comments

• Ed-1
    Ed-1 Posts: 3,892 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 22 March at 4:28PM
    Options
    vicnic said:
    I Just got off the phone today with the SLC(0300 100 0628), as I had to reset my password details. I have finished paying off my Plan 1 loan since 1998!  (YIPPIE...probably paid more in interest over the years than the loan itself) and they are refunding £71 after calling this number
    I also asked the lady about claiming back for when I was working part-time because I wasn't reaching the threshold for them to be taking money out ( back then I was paid £6 per hour and working part-time) and every March when we made bonus the student loan would come out. Her reply was well you met the threshold in March so that is correct money will be coming out. I mentioned that I didn't meet the threshold for the rest of the months only when we got the bonus I am sure I could claim this money back as it was only for one month every year and they wouldn't take it any other month other people have claimed. Her words were nobody has ever claimed money back and Mr Lewis is giving wrong information out !
    At this point, I knew she either didn't want to help me or she didn't know what she was talking about.
    I took her name and thanked her.
    I called back an hour later ( SLC 0300 100 0611) as I was going to fill out my SCL refund request form, but realised I couldn't due to the card number not being the same since 1998, it needed updating.
    I explained my situation about the bonus she checked and realised that I am owed money over the years £700 due to when they were taking the bonus money out every March.(2002-2014)
    But the problem was that the loan had just been finished off I would owe that money and would have to start paying student loans again ???!! because it would be a shortfall that helped me pay off my loan?!?
    I had to choose to either open up my student loan again and start paying this money or just let it be ! 
    I did ask this lady can I have an email explaining this, but I won't be getting an email, I should receive a letter by post.
    Has anybody experienced this at all? Am I being fobbed off? Can I even fight this as there is nothing to say I can't have the money that was automatically being taken when it shouldn't have? it wasn't my fault, There is no clause in the contract to say I would have to pay money that they made a mistake in taking but don't want to give it back?
    Mr Lewis help!

The threshold is per pay period. If you are paid monthly then if you earn over the threshold that month a repayment will be taken. If you earn under the annual threshold for the year then you can reclaim the repayment but that then gets added back on to the loan. For students on plan 1 who are more likely to clear the full loan balance, there's often little point in reclaiming as you'd just owe it again. For students on plan 2 (or perhaps plan 5), reclaiming means money that would have been written off back on your loan balance and due to be written off again.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback