Garnier poor customer service - next steps?

Options
Hi All,

I thought I'd try colouring my hair at home, so bought a Garnier product. When I then went on their site to check what it recommended, I uploaded a photo and it showed that the product I had bought would turn my hair red (I wanted blonde), so I returned that and got the one that showed it would turn my hair blonde. Guess what? It dyed it red! Well, the roots at least - so now I've got a red halo with blonde ends (the blonde I had previously)! I was pretty distraught when it first happened and called them, and they said that it wouldn't have turned my hair blonde as you can't go more than two shades lighter (shame their 'helpful' 'Virtual try on' doesn't seem to know that, and it doesn't state it on the product). They said that someone would contact me, and I did receive an email which said sorry for the inconvenience. I pointed out that it was more than inconvenient - that it was stressful, time-consuming and costly to rectify. They said they won't even give a refund for the product, but to ask the store I bought it from for one. I don't see why a store would give a refund for a used product. I asked for their complaints procedure and they said they don't have one but my comments have been passed on. So, my question is, what can I do about this? I think it's appalling customer service but I don't know who to go to next about it. Thanks loads for any help!

Comments

• user1977
    user1977 Posts: 14,091 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited 22 March at 2:01PM
    Options

I don't see why a store would give a refund for a used product. 
    Because that's what your statutory consumer rights require? (where the product is not as described / doesn't work etc). Obviously you're only likely to be making such a complaint after you use the product.

You don't have similar rights against the manufacturer.
  • born_again
    born_again Posts: 14,464 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Only regulated companies need to have a complaints process. Retailers such as this do not.
    Life in the slow lane
  • Emmia
    Emmia Posts: 3,169 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    What colour is your hair naturally?
  • screech_78
    screech_78 Posts: 455 Forumite
    Options
    Covered in their terms & conditions for the virtual try on. 

The Website provides an illustration of the effect of applying a particular product (e.g. hair colour), and does not constitute a guarantee that the result will be exactly the same tone, colour and/or result when you apply the product. We will not be held liable for any inaccuracies with the results of the Website

It also states on every product on their website that hair colouring can only lighten your hair 1-2 levels so I can’t see that you have any recourse. Always one of the dangers of doing it yourself. Go to a hairdresser who can get a better result for you however that can also take more than one session. 
  • TheLittleThings
    TheLittleThings Posts: 13 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Emmia said:
    The roots were medium brown.
  • prettyandfluffy
    prettyandfluffy Posts: 729 Forumite
    edited 27 March at 10:11AM
    Options
    I'm fairly sure that if you read all the text on the packaging and insert, somewhere it will warn you that you cannot go more than 2 shades lighter without pre-lightening (bleach).  It has on every home hair colour I've ever used.

ETA: Did you do the recommended test 24 hours before colouring? If you didn't (and I never have), you won't have a leg to stand on.
  • Emmia
    Options
    Emmia said:
    The roots were medium brown.
    I think you'd need to bleach it first to avoid the red.
  • Emmia
    Options
    I'm fairly sure that if you read all the text on the packaging and insert, somewhere it will warn you that you cannot go more than 2 shades lighter without pre-lightening (bleach).  It has on every home hair colour I've ever used.

ETA: Did you do the recommended test 24 hours before colouring? If you didn't (and I never have), you won't have a leg to stand on.
    That does have a risk, as you can develop a serious (potentially life threatening) allergy to ingredients like ppd.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback