Kids Savings

Options
I'm looking for the best high interest 'Kids' account to put my 9 year old daughters £20,000 savings away for 3 years, any help would be appreciated.

Comments

• refluxer
    refluxer Posts: 2,704 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    edited 22 March at 2:21PM
    Options
    There are a few banks and building societies who'll allow you to open a fixed rate bond for a child according to the listing for the best childrens' accounts on the Moneyfactscompare site.

https://moneyfactscompare.co.uk/savings-accounts/childrens-savings-accounts/?quick-links-first=false

The better rates (5%+) are for easy access/notice accounts or 1-2 year fixed rate periods - the best rates for a 3 year bond without a minimum age restriction appear to be the Buckinghamshire and Principality BS (4.50% and 4.40% respectively) at the moment, at least according to that comparison site.

Just be aware that any money locked away in a fixed rate bond/account won't be accessible for any reason (other than death or possibly critical illness) before the end of the fixed rate period.

Also - if that money has been given to your child by a parent, then there are tax implications if it earns more than £100 in interest (or £200 if it has come from both parents) in any one tax year.
  • Albermarle
    Albermarle Posts: 22,190 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    I'm looking for the best high interest 'Kids' account to put my 9 year old daughters £20,000 savings away for 3 years, any help would be appreciated.
    What would be the plan in 3 years time?
    If in fact the money is for when she gets older ( 18) it might be better invested in a Stocks and Shares Junior ISA. Over 9 years it should grow more than in a savings account ( not 100% guaranteed though) 
    Junior ISA | Invest in a Junior Stocks and Shares ISA | Fidelity
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure