Is your SMETS 1 Meters working correctlly

Options
PinkPlane
PinkPlane Posts: 11 Forumite
First Anniversary First Post
Are all your meters providing accurate 30 minute data and monthly readings so you receive accurate bills

Is your SMETS 1 Meters working correctlly 26 votes

Yes
69% 18 votes
No
30% 8 votes

Comments

• PinkPlane
    PinkPlane Posts: 11 Forumite
    Options
    Switched from OVO to British Gas have to treat the meter as a dumb meter.  BG’s statement “We’re sorry for the delay in our response to your email.

I understand your concern about your gas and electricity smart meter not sending us automated readings. I’m sorry to hear that you're unhappy with the service so I've raised a complaint on your account to note your dissatisfaction. I know it’s not nice when things don’t work, so thank you for taking the time to contact us.

I've investigated your account and see that at times the smart meter loses connection with the main hub which is why it stops sending automated reading. I'd like to inform you that it's a known issue and the metering team is aware of this, they are working remotely to fix this issue once and for all. This job does not require a physical engineers visit.

At this time, I request you to treat the meter as a dumb meter and please submit meter reading manually.”
  • KxMx
    KxMx Posts: 10,605 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    edited 22 March at 11:15PM
    Options
    Electric is fine, Gas periodically loses connection so I don't always see 30min data- but Octopus confirmed they are aware of the fault (national, multiple agencies working in a fix) and are still receiving a reading once every 24 hours automatically. 

It can work for a few weeks then lose connection for a time - 8th March is the last date I myself can see any data for. 

*SMETS1 originally installed by British Gas, migrated onto the network. 
  • brig001
    brig001 Posts: 389 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Mine works with some suppliers, but not others. IHD is hopeless. What should I vote?
    Brian
  • EssexHebridean
    EssexHebridean Posts: 21,372 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    edited 22 March at 7:04PM
    Options
    brig001 said:
    Mine works with some suppliers, but not others. IHD is hopeless. What should I vote?
    Brian
    Take things as they are currently I would suggest. At this time, with the supplier you are with currently, is your SMETS1 meter sending readings so you get accurate billing? The IHD is not the smart meter, so doesn’t have any relevance in this poll I don’t think. 

It might interest the OP to know that there was a recent more in-depth poll on a very similar subject https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6509512/smart-meter-functionality/p1
    🎉 MORTGAGE FREE (First time!) 30/09/2016 🎉 And now we go again…New mortgage taken 01/09/23 🏡
    Balance as at 01/09/23 = £115,000.00
    Balance as at 31/12/23 = £112,000.00
    SOA CALCULATOR (for DFW newbies): SOA Calculator
    she/her
  • Scot_39
    Scot_39 Posts: 1,842 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    edited 22 March at 8:09PM
    Options
    brig001 said:
    Brian
    Most smets1 have either been DCC integrated or will have been or will hopefully have been identified (and so scheduled to be) replaced.

If DCC integrated they should then afaik work with all suppliers.

You can check if yours has been - e.g. see plans and status check link from 

https://www.smartdcc.co.uk/our-smart-network/current-programmes/smets1-enrolment-and-adoption/

• brig001
    brig001 Posts: 389 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Scot_39 said:
    brig001 said:
    Brian
    Most smets1 have either been DCC integrated or will have been or will hopefully have been identified (and so scheduled to be) replaced.

If DCC integrated they should then afaik work with all suppliers.

You can check if yours has been - e.g. see plans and status check link from 

https://www.smartdcc.co.uk/our-smart-network/current-programmes/smets1-enrolment-and-adoption/

Should is the important word there
    It works with EonNext, never worked properly on Octopus - something to do with how they get the meter readings where day and night would randomly swap over. Once got a bill showing minus a thousand pounds for my night usage. Never had a problem with any other suppliers, but that is a very small sample

Brian
  • Bendo
    Bendo Posts: 292 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Mine works perfectly. Adoption took a while and clearly went wrong somewhere for a bit but all good now.
  • Yorkie006
    Yorkie006 Posts: 203 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    I had SMET1 meters installed in summer of 2018 by BG. Last year, around May the electric meter stopped sending readings to BG, then in July the gas meter stopped as well. I know neither of the meters were moved onto the new system at this point (I was unable to use apps like Bright or Loop as the meters were not on the system). I raised a complaint about the meters not sending readings, BG fixed them remotely and somehow they are not only working like they're supposed to be, they are also compatible with other suppliers/apps. But I think the only reason they are now compatible was only a side effect of them fixing the original issue with them not sending readings. If they did not break, they would probably still not be adopted.
  • tim9966
    tim9966 Posts: 494 Forumite
    Options
    Not any more.

It was fitted in 2018 but no longer send meter readings although it does still transit usage to the indoor monitor. I now get emails asking me for meter readings each month. I've been with British Gas the whole time. 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback