reminder about seller preferences and non payers

Options
I thought it worth reminding about using your seller preferences to stop serial non payers from buying or bidding on your items.

With people reporting an increase in non payers in some categories it is worth reviewing your seller preferences to block as many as you can, let them struggle to find sellers who will accept their bids or allow them to buy and they might change their practice going forward.

Go into your seller preferences and into buyer requirements and then check you have this enabled:

Block buyers who caused 2 cancellations of unpaid purchases within 12 month(s).

That does exactly what it says, if buyers have had 2 non payer strikes in the past 12 months they cannot buy your BIN items nor can they bid.

This does require sellers to play their part, sellers must wait the full 4 days and then do the full NPB (which is now immediate) - too many sellers are now cancelling 'mutually' after 2 or 3 days and buyers don't get a strike then. Also sellers must not leave feedback as buyers can then easily get the strike overturned- and they just end up with a nice shiny positive to increase their score. 

Below that settings box you can view your log of buyers you have blocked- I have 4 in the last 2 weeks all blocked with the reason 'Too many unpaid item strikes'

It is really worth doing and the sooner we prevent these time wasters from using ebay the better. Also if every seller did this and used the NPB system correctly the message might get out there that not paying for goods seriously prevent your use of ebay. This is so much better than trying to 'punish' non payers with giving them positive feedback, and rushing to cancel early , use the system properly.

I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

Comments

• soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,208 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Just bumping this due to the amount of NPB query posts I am seeing on forums. 
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback