Partial savings locked in until July - What should I be doing to stay tax free?

Options
Hi all,

I have £17k locked into a fixed savings account until July 2024
and
£8k in an easy access savings account

Interest earned this year will be £1300 taking me over my PSA (£1k)

What should I be looking to do next tax year? I presume when my fixed matures in July I can't stick it in an ISA. Should I put my £8k into an ISA and the £17k into an easy access savings account until the following year, after which I can then move £10k of that into an ISA? 

Comments

• ColdIron
    ColdIron Posts: 9,063 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    vibez said:
    I presume when my fixed matures in July I can't stick it in an ISA.
    Why not? From April 6th you have a £20,000 allowance available to you
  • vibez
    vibez Posts: 64 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    ColdIron said:
    vibez said:
    I presume when my fixed matures in July I can't stick it in an ISA.
    Why not? From April 6th you have a £20,000 allowance available to you
    Can you transfer into an ISA after April? 
  • ColdIron
    ColdIron Posts: 9,063 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 21 March at 8:41PM
    Options
    Of course. What makes you think you can't?
  • vibez
    Options
    ColdIron said:
    I thought I read I had to open it by 6th of April
  • gravel_2
    gravel_2 Posts: 136 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    vibez said:
    ColdIron said:
    That's when the new tax year starts. You can contribute up to 20k into ISAs every tax year, which is why you see ISA fever kick in leading up to April. It's a mix of people who have not used this year's ISA allowance looking for somewhere to put their money and those who have waiting for the next tax year to start.

You can open an ISA whenever you like as long as you only add 20k per year in total across all ISAs you have.
  • vibez
    Options
    gravel_2 said:
    vibez said:
    ColdIron said:
    That's when the new tax year starts. You can contribute up to 20k into ISAs every tax year, which is why you see ISA fever kick in leading up to April. It's a mix of people who have not used this year's ISA allowance looking for somewhere to put their money and those who have waiting for the next tax year to start.

You can open an ISA whenever you like as long as you only add 20k per year in total across all ISAs you have.
    Ah I get you now. I presume the interest is pro-rata - as in, if I pay in halfway through the year, I only get half a year's worth of interest?
  • gravel_2
    gravel_2 Posts: 136 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    vibez said:
    gravel_2 said:
    vibez said:
    ColdIron said:

Ah I get you now. I presume the interest is pro-rata - as in, if I pay in halfway through the year, I only get half a year's worth of interest?
    I suggest you think about it in a different way. You earn the stated amount of interest on every penny you have in the account. If it's in the account for a year you will get a year's worth of interest. If you only leave it there for 1 day, you will accrue 1 day's worth of interest. 

You are still tied up on the 6 April date - its irrelevant for your question on interest. If you open an ISA in July 2024, it will earn the stated annual rate of interest. If you close it in July 2025, you will get one year of interest. If you close it in July 2030 you will get several years of interest during the life of that account.
  • vibez
    Options
    gravel_2 said:
    vibez said:
    gravel_2 said:
    vibez said:
    ColdIron said:

I suggest you think about it in a different way. You earn the stated amount of interest on every penny you have in the account. If it's in the account for a year you will get a year's worth of interest. If you only leave it there for 1 day, you will accrue 1 day's worth of interest. 

You are still tied up on the 6 April date - its irrelevant for your question on interest. If you open an ISA in July 2024, it will earn the stated annual rate of interest. If you close it in July 2025, you will get one year of interest. If you close it in July 2030 you will get several years of interest during the life of that account.
    Again thanks for that. Just had it in my head it was a April to April thing but I see now that it rolls over and it is just a cap of £20k that can be paid in during that window.

One last question, I can take out a cash isa with 2 providers this new yea, correct? I.e £10k spread across 2 cash isas?
  • elkiedee
    elkiedee Posts: 81 Forumite
    edited 21 March at 10:59PM
    Options
    When you refer to "interest earned this year" do you mean interest this financial year 2023/24 or this calendar year?

Have you been paid interest on the account that's fixed until July in this financial year? If not, for example if it's a 1 year fix paying out at maturity and not an ISA, then the interest will count in the next financial year, I think - though some of the higher rate accounts would use quite a lot of your personal savings allowance on £17K.
  • vibez
    Options
    elkiedee said:
    When you refer to "interest earned this year" do you mean interest this financial year 2023/24 or this calendar year.

Have you been paid interest on the account that's fixed until July in this financial year? If not, for example if it's a 1 year fix paying out at maturity and not an ISA, then the interest will count in the next financial year, I think - though some of the higher rate accounts would use quite a lot of your personal savings allowance on £17K.
    Now you mention it, i'm not sure.

My fixed pays me interest in July and I guess next year. My easy access has been paying out each month. So good chance i'm below my PSA for this year anyway.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback