PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Staging for viewings or not

Options
2»

Comments

• youth_leader
    youth_leader Posts: 2,484 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Stoptober Survivor
    Options
    I would recommend clean white towels in the bathroom, put all toiletries out of sight, and put the toilet seat down. If you are going to set up a 'bed shape' cover with a neutral cloth.   Put all personal photographs away. 

People do make the most peculiar assumptions - I had a very cold listed building with high ceilings and single glazing.  We had additional electric oil filled radiators as my daughter liked to paint and suffered with cold hands.   The viewer said 'oh I see the central heating doesn't work.'   

Do look around when you feel viewing ready, and see if there is anything you might comment on as an observer.
    £216 saved 24 October 2014
  • bargainhunter382
    Options
    Assuming it’s in a decent area and well presented grounds, you’ve nothing to worry about! I am personally a fan of staging but wouldn’t go to the trouble of starting from scratch unless the place will struggle to sell without that appeal. Good luck!
  • FreeBear
    FreeBear Posts: 14,765 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    brainiack said: If I was to add anything it would mainly be a pretend 'bed' in the main bedroom as I appreciate due to the small size of the bedroom it may be hard for buyers to see how a double bed could fit. I would make a bed out of boxes with an air mattress and bedding rather than an actual bed itself.
    Where to start....

Her courage will change the world.

Treasure the moments that you have. Savour them for as long as you can for they will never come back again.
  • EssexHebridean
    EssexHebridean Posts: 21,462 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    In a property with central heating, I would definitely suggest not having other portable heaters on show for viewings - while it didn’t ever give me an impression of GCH not working, it certainly made me think that it wasn’t up to the job! 

If you are listing the property essentially empty, make clear that it is chain free but NOT a probate sale - some folk steer clear of those because probate if not already in place can take a long while to come through. 
    🎉 MORTGAGE FREE (First time!) 30/09/2016 🎉 And now we go again…New mortgage taken 01/09/23 🏡
    Balance as at 01/09/23 = £115,000.00
    Balance as at 31/12/23 = £112,000.00
    SOA CALCULATOR (for DFW newbies): SOA Calculator
    she/her
  • Albermarle
    Albermarle Posts: 22,388 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    In a property with central heating, I would definitely suggest not having other portable heaters on show for viewings - while it didn’t ever give me an impression of GCH not working, it certainly made me think that it wasn’t up to the job! 

Also if it is Winter, make sure the heating has been on. A stone cold house could put some people off.

• JustinTime19
    JustinTime19 Posts: 74 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    You could look at virtual staging - Prime Perspectives - Property Marketing Materials At Their Best 

Some people can imagine what the room would look like with their things, others need some inspiration, suggestion etc.
  • ReadySteadyPop
    ReadySteadyPop Posts: 172 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    Did you "stage" it? Any interest so far?
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback