Help my Grandma

Options
Hi All,

This is my first post, I don't know where to go for advice/help or what to do?  This is for my Grandma, just after Christmas due an illness my grandma (82 year old) unfortunately required an operation where her leg was removed.  She is now at home living downstairs in her living room whilst she tries to navigate her life with this massive change.  A massive worry for her is help, she currently has carer's who come into her house 4 times a day, these come free but after a meeting today with a social worker she was told for this to continue she would have to pay £180 a week, she only get's just over £800 month in a pension as well as higher rate attendance allowance (no other benefits).  My grandma as I'm sure you can appreciate is worried sick about not having a choice and having to pay this money due to needing the help with daily life due to this life debilitating change, but also trying to manage to pay for general life i.e bill's food etc.  Is there anyone who can advise me or point me in some direction please, it would be much appreciated all i want to do is help my Grandma whereever i can....Thank you!

Comments

• katejo
    katejo Posts: 3,823 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Try contacting her local Citizens Advice Centre. 
  • Sam0610
    Sam0610 Posts: 2 Newbie
    First Post
    Options
    katejo said:
    Try contacting her local Citizens Advice Centre. 
    I will do thank you 
  • Tescodealqueen
    Tescodealqueen Posts: 1,197 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Or Age Concern who may be able to advise
  • Rubyroobs
    Rubyroobs Posts: 869 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 21 March at 8:24PM
    Options
    If she lives alone and no-one claims carers allowance for caring for her then unless she has significant savings over 10k she would qualify for some Pension credit as she would have a severe disability premium added to the pension credit calculation. Definitely worth having a benefit check done by somewhere such as CAB or Age UK, or use the Age Uk benefit calculator online which is easy to use. If savings are below  £23250 then she can ask adult social care department of her local authority to do a financial assessment to see if she can get help with care. If she has rent to pay she may also get help with housing costs through  housing benefits. Adult social care can also do an occupational therapy assessment to see what equipment might help her and to point her in the direction of any grants available for things like stair lift or a wet room to make life easier for her. I imagine she has maybe already had this?
  • Keep_pedalling
    Keep_pedalling Posts: 16,646 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    As her weekly income is below £201.05 per week she might also be able to claim pension credit.

What level of savings does she have?

Has she put a lasting powers of attorney in place? 
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,144 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Age.UK  can give advice
    https://www.ageuk.org.uk/services/
  • Alice_Holt
    Alice_Holt Posts: 5,950 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 22 March at 5:10PM
    Options
    As her weekly income is below £201.05 per week she might also be able to claim pension credit.

As she is in receipt of AA, with the disability premium this rises to c.£300 pw (24/35 rates).
       Pension Credit brings automatic entitlement to full HB and CTr
    https://www.ageuk.org.uk/globalassets/age-uk/documents/factsheets/fs48_pension_credit_fcs.pdf

How to apply for Pension Credit:
     https://www.gov.uk/pension-credit/how-to-claim

She should apply asap, as currently the DWP take a long, long time to process claims.  Given her age and health, get her MP involved if the wait is unreasonable. 
    Alice Holt Forest situated some 4 miles south of Farnham forms the most northerly gateway to the South Downs National Park.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback