Childcare Costs 2024

Options
The expanded childcare funding provided by the government is a welcomed relief to most parents, who are struggling and/or giving up employment due to the abhorrent costs of childcare.

That said, I feel it's being exploited by childcare providers to cash in.

The scheme that was expanded to help all working parents of 9 month olds (sept 24), 2 year olds (apr 24) required significant funding to do so. But they didn't stop there, they also significantly increased how much they're providing to childcare providers. They did this based off of local needs - some places simply cost more than others.

Childcare providers have always been very forthcoming with me to explain how difficult it is to make a profit, and justify their reasoning as to why they require 'top up' fees or a 'consumables charge'. I've understood their reasonings in the past, where the government havnt kept up with the cost of running these businesses. They've addressed that now, but the providers continue to ask for these top up fees.

For us, personally, our childcare provider receives more from funded places than they do non-funded (they make .36p/hour) - yet, they still ask for a 'consumables' charge of £10/day for funded places. We provide nappies, snacks and pay separately for food.

This seems to the norm, as we've had it in previous childcare providers, where, like I've said I understood why they needed the money (although they where never forthcoming with what the government paid them).

Are they taking the pistachio?

Find out how much the government is providing your provider, just google it!

Comments

• OisinH7719
    OisinH7719 Posts: 6 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    I can't post the link because I've not been a forum member, but should you be interested in knowing what the government are providing your childcare provider simply google "2-year-old entitlements 2024 to 2025 hourly funding rates" then click the xls document a few links down. It has all areas listed.
  • paulofalus
    paulofalus Posts: 59 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Our provider says the funding is less than they would usually charge so they've had to increase the costs in general to cover their losses from the government scheme. They provided full details but I won't list them all here. We're in the South. 
  • paulofalus
    paulofalus Posts: 59 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Missing out
    We are missing out on the 15 hours free childcare by a few days. Our son was born on 5 April so we won't be able to claim the extra hours until September. This seems totally unfair. It's a kind of age discrimination. Someone born on 31 March can claim help NOW and will be thousands of pounds better off as a result. 

Why not let parents claim from the day the child turns 2? 
    I'm not sure why they've used term dates anyway because children this young don't go to school. Term dates are irrelevant. They are in nursery all year round at this stage. 

Has anyone started a petition or anything regarding this?
    I wrote to my MP who basically shrugged and said "what's the point trying to change it?" (I won't be voting for him at the next election). I contacted my council to check the term dates because the dates they've published on their website indicate that Summer term starts on 15th April which would make us eligible. But of course, they say that the funding dates are set by central government.
    Any other ideas? Please could @MSE_Martin start a campaign on this? Some families really need the help sooner rather than later. 
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,136 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    You need to contact Martin direct.

He sold this site many  years ago 
  • izawa
    izawa Posts: 156 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    It is not nursery fault, they just do not get enough from government hence the extra parent funded costs. Also, I would add that it is not government's fault. They are really trying their best to fund the benefits system. The benefits which is very unfair and needs a total overhaul (no I am not saying increase benefits but stop the benefits abuse system)
    I am relationship expert. Don't feel shy, say hello.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback