Bank of England holds base rate at 5.25% for the fifth time

Options
The Bank of England has held the base rate at 5.25% for the fifth time in a row. This rate is used by the central bank to charge other banks and lenders when they borrow money – and so it influences what borrowers pay and what savers earn.

Read the full story:

Bank of England holds base rate at 5.25% for the fifth time – here's what it means for your savings and mortgage

If you haven't already, join the forum to reply.

Comments

• Zopa_Trooper
    Zopa_Trooper Posts: 276 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I wonder whether savers rates will continue to spiral down, despite no movement from the BoE.
  • MEM62
    MEM62 Posts: 4,754 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Are they?  .
  • ranciduk
    ranciduk Posts: 666 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I wonder whether savers rates will continue to spiral down, despite no movement from the BoE.
    Without any shadow of a doubt

the banks I use started lowering their rates immediately after the first freeze

• Hoenir
    Hoenir Posts: 2,108 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    They've got to be able to lend this money out in a profitable way. There's no free lunch. 
  • boingy
    boingy Posts: 1,334 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Hoenir said:
    They've got to be able to lend this money out in a profitable way. There's no free lunch. 
    That will be the banks who are all reporting record profits then.
  • Zopa_Trooper
    Zopa_Trooper Posts: 276 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    As the rate went up, so did our savings rates, so as it comes down, you would expect the savers rates to follow. But why should they drop when the BoE rate doesn't move? It didn't last month yet they started to drop, so it will be interesting to see if they drop further this month.
  • boingy
    boingy Posts: 1,334 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    As the rate went up, so did our savings rates, so as it comes down, you would expect the savers rates to follow. But why should they drop when the BoE rate doesn't move? It didn't last month yet they started to drop, so it will be interesting to see if they drop further this month.
    Most savings rates didn't go up, just a select few to get a headline rate. Most of their customers were left languishing in 1% to 2% accounts. Mostly, savings rates are slow to rise and quick to fall. I think it's because all banks are inherently evil. Either that or it's just because they can get away with it.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback