Elder care & support business

Options
Hello All, I am starting a business as a personal assistant/ elder care assistant; basically helping mostly elderly people with all the things they can’t do anymore and often don’t have family to help, but not personal care or cleaning particularly. I have experience of this in my last 3 jobs but have never run my
own business. I’m thinking I’d rather set it up as a limited company. I have lots of ideas for marketing, website etc and doing the actual work but it’s the business side of things that I’m least knowledgeable about. Can anyone give any advice, pitfalls to avoid etc. also wondering how I’d ask for payments for this sort of business I.e cash only? Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,030 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I'd definitely not go cash only. While some people will prefer that, others will find it difficult to get the cash. Some will want to write cheques, and some banks will charge you to deposit them. Some will be fine with bank transfer, others will prefer being able to pay by card, so you'd need a card reader and service.
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • martindow
    martindow Posts: 10,221 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    You will also need to have insurance in place.  I would also advise that you chat to an accountant to see if a limited company would be the best set up for you - they may suggest something else.
    A quick google shows there are trade associations for the adult care sector.  Becoming a member of one of these could be very helpful in terms of advice and sometimes they can provide suitable insurance and other services.  You need to be sure that everything is set up and in place before you start up.
    Good luck!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure